Miralem Pjanić

bluechampion7891 said:
FantasyIreland said:
BigOscar said:
One of only a few players capable of replacing Yaya. Not got his physical power but the same ability to control the game from deep and create at the same time.

While not having Yaya's blockbuster forward surges,he is more than capable of running at defences and causing mayhem with his technical ability,he also has an aggressive edge and hunger to his game,an invaluable,unteachable attribute that I cant get enough of in a player.

I too think hes a very realistic Yaya replacement,certainly a realistic,maybe even superior..... alternative to Pogba.

But can he play in a 2 man midfield?

He can't, unless you've got two winger that cook their asses off on defence, Koke perhaps, actually I don't think anyone can.

Anyway he's not a deep-lying playmaker like Pirlo, he usually excels in a system that comprises a defensive midfielder like Fernando and a box to box's one, I like a Ramsey kind of player next to him but Fernandinho could easily work as well.

sgerlat said:
bluechampion7891 said:
FantasyIreland said:
While not having Yaya's blockbuster forward surges,he is more than capable of running at defences and causing mayhem with his technical ability,he also has an aggressive edge and hunger to his game,an invaluable,unteachable attribute that I cant get enough of in a player.

I too think hes a very realistic Yaya replacement,certainly a realistic,maybe even superior..... alternative to Pogba.

He can't, unless you've got two winger that cook their asses off on defence, Koke perhaps, actually I don't think anyone can.

Anyway he's not a deep-lying playmaker like Pirlo, he usually excels in a system that comprises a defensive midfielder like Fernando and a box to box's one, I like a Ramsey kind of player next to him but Fernandinho could easily work as well.

you mean no one can play in a 2 man midfield? lol

by two man I dont necessarily mean 2 strikers, it could be 2 man proper midfield and an Attacking midfielder infront. but yeah, still 2 man

bluechampion7891 said:
sgerlat said:
bluechampion7891 said:

by two man I dont necessarily mean 2 strikers, it could be 2 man proper midfield and an Attacking midfielder infront. but yeah, still 2 man

In modern football 2 man midfield is not advisable against any top club, they easily outrun you, like Roma in the first 60 minutes against City. The only way to succeed in Europe with 2 man is to play at an insane pace, like Atletico did last year, but this is not the rule, otherwise you're often in trouble.

The perfect example of a team struggling with a 2 man midfield is Borussia Dortmund.

In Champions league they play amazingly with the 4-2-3-1 lineup but when it comes to domestic league they play with lower intensity and therefore there is no equilibrium on the pitch.

Mourinho is probably the only one who found the formula with the 2 man, I really think Fabregas is key since he plays infront but he's essentially a CM, so is more like a 4-3-3, having Hazard, who is an additional playmaker also helps in bulding up the offense. The same system with Mata instead of Fabregas didn't work because the Spanish is a pure AM and doesn't provide density.

Pogba can be one of the few who could play in a 2 man but he's too lazy, he can improve though.

I do think 3 man is always ideal.

sgerlat said:
bluechampion7891 said:
sgerlat said:

In modern football 2 man midfield is not advisable against any top club, they easily outrun you, like Roma in the first 60 minutes against City. The only way to succeed in Europe with 2 man is to play at an insane pace, like Atletico did last year, but this is not the rule, otherwise you're often in trouble.

The perfect example of a team struggling with a 2 man midfield is Borussia Dortmund.

In Champions league they play amazingly with the 4-2-3-1 lineup but when it comes to domestic league they play with lower intensity and therefore there is no equilibrium on the pitch.

Mourinho is probably the only one who found the formula with the 2 man, I really think Fabregas is key since he plays infront but he's essentially a CM, so is more like a 4-3-3, having Hazard, who is an additional playmaker also helps in bulding up the offense. The same system with Mata instead of Fabregas didn't work because the Spanish is a pure AM and doesn't provide density.

Pogba can be one of the few who could play in a 2 man but he's too lazy, he can improve though.

kroos and modric v barcelona? i also remember 442 real v bayern. that CM doesnt have pace at all

sgerlat said:
bluechampion7891 said:
sgerlat said:

Dortmund are not struggling, because of a lack of control in midfield. Bundesliga teams just know that the way to beat them is to sit back, let them have the ball and hit them on the counter. They are losing, because their defenders have been terrible and their inability to break teams down. The injuries have not helped.

Bayern smashed Juventus and Barca with a two man midfield. Madrid have just smashed Barca and Liverpool with two in midfield. If your midfielders are good enough then you can play two.

There is nothing with playing two men in midfield, but they have to be good enough. Players like Schweinsteir, Modric, Pogba, Martinez etc can all play in a two man midfield. The secret is that they need to work hard and be all-round players.

bluechampion7891 said:
sgerlat said:
bluechampion7891 said:

kroos and modric v barcelona? i also remember 442 real v bayern. that CM doesnt have pace at all

The 4-4-2 Ancelotti used against Barca was flat, Atletico style, so basically a 4 man and it worked because Isco and James were intense on defence, plus Barca didn't really have a dinamic trio to oppose and consequently there was no connection whatsoever between the defensive department and the beastly trio upfront, also Mathieu in the nonconventional role of full-back was crap and prevented Rodriguez from running out of gas, Alves as well was completely destroyed by Marcelo.

City have the same problems when they play 4-4-2 with both Nasri, Navas or Silva out wide, the 2 in the middle are often left alone, when Milner is on that's much more equilibrium because he actually plays the midfielder role and he is two-way player.

City may have equilibrium with 2 "Fernandos" but they would lack creativity for sure if that scenario were to happen.

supercrystal7 said:
sgerlat said:
bluechampion7891 said:

Dortmund are not struggling, because of a lack of control in midfield. Bundesliga teams just know that the way to beat them is to sit back, let them have the ball and hit them on the counter. They are losing, because their defenders have been terrible and their inability to break teams down. The injuries have not helped.

Bayern smashed Juventus and Barca with a two man midfield. Madrid have just smashed Barca and Liverpool with two in midfield. If your midfielders are good enough then you can play two.

There is nothing with playing two men in midfield, but they have to be good enough. Players like Schweinsteir, Modric, Pogba, Martinez etc can all play in a two man midfield. The secret is that they need to work hard and be all-round players.

I haven't said they lack control, I was implying they lack balance and that two men often lead to fast breaks, the match against Stoke could be an example, City had control but struggled on defence. In Europe Borussia's players are all hyped and play with intensity and pace while in domestic league they lower their effort and as a result Hummels and Subotic look dreadful, they're freaking slow and a bit overrated too if you ask me. They need to be protected a bit more and regain their confidence, this is why they're making mistakes.

I genuinely believe Real played the 4 men not 2 against both Liverpool and Barcellona, then of course considering their qualities they often attack but what really made the difference is that Isco and Rodriguez have been great on defence and are really becoming two-way players otherwise the combination of Kroos and Modric would clearly be unsustainable.

When you say "they need to work hard" you're agreeing with me, that's pace and stamina right here. Playing for 50-60 games with the level of intensity SImeone's team displaced last year is simply mad, that's why I have suggested to play 3 men from time to time, especially when the conditioning is not ideal or you're facing vastly superior teams like Bayern or Real.

Sometimes boosting the midfield just means being humble and recognizing the strenght of your opponent or the fact you're not in a perfect shape.

sgerlat said:
I haven't said they lack control, I was implying they lack balance and that two men often lead to fast breaks, the match against Stoke could be an example, City had control but struggled on defence. In Europe Borussia's players are all hyped and play with intensity and pace while in domestic league they lower their effort and as a result Hummels and Subotic look dreadful, they're freaking slow and a bit overrated too if you ask me. They need to be protected a bit more and regain their confidence, this is why they're making mistakes.

I genuinely believe Real played the 4 men not 2 against both Liverpool and Barcellona, then of course considering their qualities they often attack but what really made the difference is that Isco and Rodriguez have been great on defence and are really becoming two-way players otherwise the combination of Kroos and Modric would clearly be unsustainable.

When you say "they need to work hard" you're agreeing with me, that's pace and stamina right here. Playing for 50-60 games with the level of intensity SImeone's team displaced last year is simply mad, that's why I have suggested to play 3 men from time to time, especially when the conditioning is not ideal or you're facing vastly superior teams like Bayern or Real.

Sometimes boosting the midfield just means being humble and recognizing the strenght of your opponent or the fact you're not in a perfect shape.
Hummels has just been bad since the world cup and had an injury. Ginter and Durm are not very good at all. Yes part of the problem is that they don't press as well, but it's not like they are conceding lots of chances. Confidence is low and that's a big reason they are making mistakes. Protecting them is not a problem, because they have Bender or Kehl in front. Dortmund are a poor example to use.

If you are saying teams cannot play with just 2 men in midfield and no wingers/wide men coming back then I agree. In CIty's first title winning season the 2 in midfield worked a lot better, because Silva was working like a trojan getting back. I do agree that either you tell the widemen and strikers to do their defensive duty or you play 3 in midfield.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.