Monaco - Post Match thread.

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by FantasyIreland, 15 Mar 2017.

1. Bayblue

Bayblue

First half was baffling. For me it was worse than Madrid last year. The energy seemed low, the spirit seemed lacking, the fight didn't seem to be there at all. Second half was much better - well apart from that daft goal conceded !

If it showed one thing then it was that Ferna can't operate as a 'pivot'. I love the guy to bits but that role demands a technical excellence that few have. In our recent run then Yaya has been key and without him we just couldn't control the ball.

In a perverse way it affirms how we have eveolved under Pep. Last year most folks would have hated Yaya being in a "defensive" two; now we miss him as a deep lying one. It had worked because he is so technically good and Pep has got the others into a teamwork mindset - where they are working much harder and more intelligently without the ball.

It's always a sign of how important someone is when they aren't there as not just did we miss Yaya but the players around him, all top quality, didn't rise to the occasion and compensate.

Second half Kev came a bit deeper and thank God managed to get his passing sorted.

I love Pep's approach and care for the game. Reading the books about him then his key player had always been his pivot. I come away from Monaco wondering who on earth he has in mind for this.

2. prestonibbo_mcfc

prestonibbo_mcfc

The pivot role needs a player that not only is technically good, it also needs a player that is confident in his own ability
    bordering on arrogance. Ie he doesn't panic as soon as he sees the shirt of an opponent.

3. BlueAnorak

BlueAnorak

The Pivot role is indeed vital in Pep's teams.
    Anyone know who the next Busquets is?

4. prestonibbo_mcfc

prestonibbo_mcfc

Jack Wilshere ? ;-)

5. Kompany is King

Kompany is King

Julian Weigl with Alexi Garcia as understudy

6. grimmcfc

grimmcfc

Going to sound stupid now but isn't the problem that you can't play with only one defensive or even central midfielder, bring Ya Ya on to play beside/infromt/behind Fred1 and we've got 2?
    It's how I see we've come unstuck in most of the Prem games we've lost / drawn.

7. Stoned Rose

Stoned Rose

What??

8. GSW Blue

GSW Blue

Anyone got any idea why at that level of football the linesman decided to raise his flag for offside from a throw in?

9. moon

moon

Don't think he's a regular for Sunderland
    So can't see a future here

10. Gunnerblue9320

Gunnerblue9320

Excellent post.

Spot on!