Monarch Airlines (In Administration)

flyer

Supposed to be going to Tenerife in two weeks with Monarch Holidays. Doesn't look like that's going to happen at the moment. Monarch could be out of business by midnight tonight

One of the things is that nobody is taking holidays to Egypt or Turkey due to fears of terrorism. That means they have too many aircraft for the people who want to fly with them. This has meant their income is mainly from short haul flights to Spain etc but the pressure on ticket prices for these destinations from other carriers means very low margins or even losses. Monarch wants to re-align itself as a long haul carrier but unless its licence is renewed by midnight, I think its going tits up

One of the things is that nobody is taking holidays to Egypt or Turkey due to fears of terrorism. That means they have too many aircraft for the people who want to fly with them. This has meant their income is mainly from short haul flights to Spain etc but the pressure on ticket prices for these destinations from other carriers means very low margins or even losses. Monarch wants to re-align itself as a long haul carrier but unless its licence is renewed by midnight, I think its going tits up
The holiday arm of the company, not the airline

It’s weird.
The licence that is up for renewal is it’s ATOL one for package holidays.
If it doesn’t get it the package holiday business will cease trading tonight.
Theoretically the airline can continue. It hasn’t had ATOL certification for a year. It doesn’t need it.
BUT
If the holiday side goes under the company could lose the confidence of suppliers, passengers, etc..
It trebled all its prices today to ensure they came under section 75 protection, thus protecting its shareholders.
I’m scheduled to fly on Wednesday.
My flight, as part of a package has ATOL protection.
What I don’t know is if they go bust will I be found an alternative carrier or get a refund and no one will tell me.
Currently I can rebook with another airline so I’d like a decision ASAP!

All their income is from short haul flights, they haven't done long haul for a good few years.
No airline currently fly's to Egypt from the UK, and they definitely do not have too many aircraft, if anything they don't have enough staff for the air craft they have, you have correctly pointed out though that the short haul market is completely saturated so there is next to no margin what so ever.
Still we all want cheaper flights and compensation if we are delayed a bit, something has to give.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.