Monarch Airlines (In Administration)

Other than the slots and staff there isn't much left of the business to salvage, the planes were sold and leased back long ago. The only profitable arm is the engineering/maintenance part of the business but I believe that is a separate entity and will continue.

This has been coming for a long time, short haul is easier and cheaper but it is never going to work if you can't compete on price. The final nail was crashing their long haul business in favour of short haul at a time when people started to avoid places like Egypt and Turkey in favour of going further afield to Mexico etc.

yhp, Thomas Cook and Thomson went longer haul and sewed that market up outside of Heathrow and Gatwick. Easyjet and Ryanair sewed up short-haul and made their inroads by undercutting traditional national airlines and now have a large presence in point to point within Europe. Jet2 are predominantly short-haul but now have an interesting position as they start competing more in Ryanair and Easyjet strongholds. Nowhere left really for Monarch to secure a reliable market.

I've give up now ill try this evening, guy on the phone reckons around a 2 hour wait. He said the call centre is open till 11pm

Took an hour but got through, they have put a temp block on the transaction and are sending forms out, hopefully should be straight forward, cost me an extra 50 notes per per to book with T Cook but at least that is sorted as well

ahh but will the Ryan Air flight go ?? O'Leary could solve his pilot shortage if he's a bit fleet of foot here surely?

cant see O'Dreary cutting back any more,in general they seem to only be chopping at flights were they fly to 3/4 or more times a day, they only do Tenerife once a day, ryan air use Boeings only so any possibilty of snapping up Monarch pilots is slim as they are Airbus,,one things for certain is that ryanair will be rubbing their hands at the increased prices that are now up,,i didnt realise the gap in the size between ryanair and Monarch, the total amount of passengers Monarch take per year ryanair takes in 3 weeks

Last edited:
Took an hour but got through, they have put a temp block on the transaction and are sending forms out, hopefully should be straight forward, cost me an extra 50 notes per per to book with T Cook but at least that is sorted as well
OK mate cheers, if and when I get the money bk I've saved £20 booking alternative flights with jet 2

you’d feel gutted if this happened to you. feel sorry for those abroad and all the hassle this has created

Although my 2018 holiday has gone down the crapper, I'll get my money back. Spare a thought for all those people who have lost their jobs; I swore by Monarch..... such a shame.

you’d feel gutted if this happened to you. feel sorry for those abroad and all the hassle this has created

I feel more sorry for those who have had their flights and holidays cancelled at such short notice. At least those abroad have had their holidays and have been promised they'll be brought home. But most of all I feel sorry for everyone who has lost their jobs

I feel more sorry for those who have had their flights and holidays cancelled at such short notice. At least those abroad have had their holidays and have been promised they'll be brought home. But most of all I feel sorry for everyone who has lost their jobs
true its a complete and utter mess isnt it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.