Mortgage Rate Rise.

Two Gun Bob

With a mortgage rate rise probably on the cards how would the more astute and financialy savvy amongst you aproach the risk to new borrowing.
A 10 year fix on 100k of around £550 a month or a 5 year fixed for around the £500 mark.
No fees either way and the 5 year has a 1k cashback and mort term 21 years.LTV at around 77%

Assuming a saving of around 3k over the first 5 fixed to offset against future rises.
Is the 5 year fix a better call or is it down plain and simple to risk avertion and lock at all costs @10 year.

£100k at £500 a moth seems a tad high to me, never mind the £550.
What are the interest rates?
Have you shopped around?

We have one where £100k is costing approximately £200pcm

£100k at £500 a moth seems a tad high to me, never mind the £550.
What are the interest rates?
Have you shopped around?

We have one where £100k is costing approximately £200pcm
Never mate ? 100k repayment over 21yrs ??
One sec ..brb

2.10% with no fees but less is acheivable with fees of around 1500 plus
London and county brokers with no charges to set up.
21 year fixed 5 years or 10 years .around £495 ish for 5 year fixed

For a ten year fixed around 2.9% thereabouts @ circa £540 ish ish

So 5 or 10 there lies the question.
I guess we have bottomed now so up it's going but by how much ?
And how much would it need to rise at the end of 5 years to justify paying an extra 3k during the initial 5

Only used interest only for buy to let in the past and this purchase is for our daughter so has to be repayment.

Factor in what the remortgage fees might be in 5 years as well as any increase in rate 5 years on.

For a ten year fixed around 2.9% thereabouts @ circa £540 ish ish

So 5 or 10 there lies the question.
I guess we have bottomed now so up it's going but by how much ?
And how much would it need to rise at the end of 5 years to justify paying an extra 3k during the initial 5

Only used interest only for buy to let in the past and this purchase is for our daughter so has to be repayment.

Take the 10 fella at 2.9%, historically that's a good rate. Peace of mind is worth £50 a month.

I've just used the money saving expert website and seen a deal at £410 but with fees

War chest of 30k maybe 35k so not a lot left for extra fees.
Solictors survey excluded and stamp duty negligable but £410 sounds handsome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.