Most you have ever won on a bet?

About £410 pounds on the day Commander In Chief won the derby . I backed that along with a 12/1 and a 10/1 in a 25p Round Robin . Won a similar amount on a football bet a few years earlier but I believe that was an error on the bookies part as two of my selections in Scotland were postponed and I can only think they gave them as wins (Unless I had changed my mind and backed two other games as often happened). Was justice though as same bookies had done me out about £150 the previous year as they settled my E/W all E/W bet as a straight E/W and refused to correct their error when pointed out later. Harsh lesson learned as after that I always had an idea of what I had to come before I handed in my winning slip.

Won at grand when Ballabriggs won the national. It was my stag do so there wasn't much left by the next day and I don't think I've touched a drop of champagne since.

Not me but some mates on a race trip had a shit day and lost a few quid. On coach on way home lad says I've still got £20 from the kitty so they bang it on a 10/1 shot online, it wins, they then all pick one horse each and stick the winnings on a lucky 15. They spend the rest of the day/night on the piss. In the morning mate logs into William Hill account and refreshes page, his balance is £13500. All 4 horses had won including one at 14/1.
He transfers all the money into his bank account and goes down there and asks for the cash, they ask him where he got it, he says William Hill, they ask him where it's going, he says William Hill. I've never heard of anyone winning more on a bet.

A Morris Marina. Nearly 20 quid. A night on the ale and 11 fags.

In the days before the internet. The bet was over a quiz question in a pub that my mate missheard and therefore lost.

The winnings were the sum total of our life.

Last edited:
I've won about 35 k on two occasions betting on the horses.

The first time was in my early 20's and very lucky, the second fairly recently, was a more straightforward online trixie with the bookies that clicked at decent prices and while pleasing, was more a great sense of satisfaction than a crazy life changing event.

Being relatively brief on the very flukey first result ... I'd layed an Ed Dunlop beast called High Command in a maiden at Catterick quite heavily on Betfair to lose about £500 at about 1.5 or 1/2 on, I was very new to the in running at the time but was hoping to trade out at a bigger price during the race.
The horse came under pressure a fair way out but was from the first crop of Galileo and I knew it would stay on like fuck, so when I saw 4 as in 3/1 pop up on the screen I scrambled to bet back 400 quid at that price to 'green up' so to speak, being rather slow on the keyboard I misclicked the first time on the confirm your bet box, but in a kind of a panic I fired the bet back through fearing I'd missed the price, when I looked down to see the full stake matched at 90 or 89 to1 !
I initially cursed myself thinking I'd just wasted the 400 quid, until low and behold the bonny colt produced a flying late run under a young Jamie Spencer, to nut one of Mark Johnstons close home. It was all rather a blur and I was literally sat on my chair shaking, until the reality that I'd just won ten times over more cash than I'd ever had in my life.

I've been involved with betting on and working around these noble beasts for a living ever since, with predictably roller coaster results.

In the interests of balance and not coming over as your bog standard one eyed inveterate bettor, my biggest single losing bet was just over £4000 quid staked on Betfair on Bernardini in the 2006 Breeders Cup (fecking Invasor !)
While I've lost similar amounts over the course of a days betting on many occasions, when I used to play heavily on the exchanges.

I'm a far more disciplined and thus dull, steady eddie punter these days tho still grinding away, and still enjoying the sport of Kings as a relative pauper.
Apologies if this untypically self indulgent post bored the fuck out of y'all !

Goodnight and good luck. Hopefully all your biggest ever winning wagers are still to come ...

Last edited:
Won just over £1500 when we beat the filth 3-1 a few years back. Usually had Fowler first goal but learnt he was on the bench so switched it to last goal instead.
I still remember the cashier at Ladbroke in Piccadilly Gardens laughing when we put the bet on.

Won around £2000 on that game but I used to split my bet. Those were the days you got great odds on City to beat the rags, or anyone for that matter. Had Sinclair for first goal, 3-1 and both together, total stake of £10. I also won a grand when we beat Everton 5-1, had this as 5-1 with SWP scoring last goal. Nearly shat myself when Tranat hit the post in stoppage time.

Don't bet much now as I really only used to bet on City games but was robbed of £500 a few seasons ago on correct score when Rooney fluked a free kick late on to make it 4-1 and didn't know whether to laugh or cry, well I laughed despite myself, at the 6-1 as the final two goals took me from winner to loser.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.