Mourhino is on his way to City.....

The Future's Blue said:
Are you saying that if we keep our manager for a long time we are almost certainly guaranteed domestic success but it's still a gamble in Europe?

I'm talking about teams without big budgets, big spending teams can change managers as much as they want and their superior finances will always ensure some level of success (trophies, Champions League qualification).

The guy is arguing that Moyes plays how he does at Everton because of budget limitations and because it's practical. I think that's bollocks and that he wouldn't suddenly morph into a manager who plays beautiful football if he came to City. I'm using Laudrup as an example as to why this is false and also saying that if Laudrup stayed at Swansea as long as Moyes has at Everton he could probably mirror their accomplishments and probably surpass them (considering he's won a trophy already which Moyes has failed to do in 12 seasons).

hgblue said:
Jose Mourinho managerial honours:
Porto (2002–2004)
Primeira Liga (2): 2002–03, 2003–04
Taça de Portugal (1): 2002–03
Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira (1): 2003
UEFA Champions League (1): 2003–04
UEFA Cup (1): 2002–03
Chelsea (2004–2007)
Premier League (2): 2004–05, 2005–06
FA Cup (1): 2006–07
Football League Cup (2): 2004–05, 2006–07
FA Community Shield (1): 2005
Internazionale (2008–2010)
Serie A (2): 2008–09, 2009–10
Coppa Italia (1): 2009–10
Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2008
UEFA Champions League (1): 2009–10
Real Madrid (2010–present)
La Liga (1): 2011–12
Copa del Rey (1): 2010–11
Supercopa de España (1): 2012
David Moyes managerial honours:
Bugger all.
It's a tough call.

Mourinho is obviously a great manager but he is not a manager you opt for if you want real stability and consistency. Yes he would win trophies but he will also bring unnecessary baggage with his erratic behaviour and eagerness to feud with everyone ,there will be constant probing, enquiries and links to chelsea and will also leave the club prematurely as your comprehensive list above suggests for the most part. Then we would move to another big name, whoring ourselves like chelsea.

Moyes have not won anything, but you surely cannot qualify a manager for the city job based on him winning the capital one cup or the fa cup, which is all everton can realistically win.

LoveCity said:
Blueband Brother said:
You're basically saying the only way to loiter in the top half long-term if you aren't one of the elite teams is to play limited grafter football. Nonsense.

The only way a club can achieve real success is to have a stable envioronment, players that are talented, deligent and willing to give 100& in every game, with a playing style that is compactible to the players available. Everton has ticked all the above boxes and although they have not had a fortunate and successful run in a cup competition like portsmouth and swansea, they are are stable club that is feared and respected in the league and is always consistently challenging the top 6. They are also very organized, spirited and discipined team.

They're stable because they've kept their manager and given him time, it has nothing to do with Moyes' generic style of football. Swansea players are working their arse off for Laudrup too, again while playing a fantastic brand of football that is probably the most entertaining in the league right now. And with it has come a trophy and European football next season.

Keep Laudrup for 10 years and Swansea would probably be perennial top halfers playing lovely football, getting the occasional European spot, and by default winning more trophies than Moyes' Everton have (1 vs. 0 already). 100% workrate doesn't mean you have to have a bunch of grafters like Osman, Neville, and Hibbert with an ounce of flair thrown in. Swansea players give 100% and instead of out-muscling opponents, they choke teams with their pressing instead of hacking at opponents' ankles.

Moyes would probably turn us into a 2 winger, 3 midfielder, 1 striker team and we'd be very generic, not playing a great brand of football that appeals to the world, which the men in charge will probably want. Probably a poor man's rags at best. We need a tactical mastermind if we're to succeed in Europe too, Moyes is not a tactical mastermind. Go and watch a team like Bayern, Real at their best, Dortmund at their best, they play on a level that no Moyes team will ever be capable of and not just due to the players but because of the man in charge. If Moyes wants to prove himself a top manager, let him follow through on his comment about managing in the Bundesliga and see how he does there first.

Some City fans are ready to settle for second best or not even that (Moyes) it seems.

Laudrup wen on a good run in the capital one cup that does not necessarily indicate that he would bring success to the club in the long run and does not mean he is a better manager than moyes. I also beleve that you are undermining moyes credits and abilities as a manager and as a tactician. You are entitled to your opinion and i am mine. Observing moyes over the past decade has made me conclude that he is one of the talented managers out there.
As for laudrup, a good run or a good season does not qualify you as an incredible tactician and manager so the jury is still out.

Moyes ffs!!

Funny-gif-man-jump-out-the-window.gif

Blueband Brother said:
Laudrup wen on a good run in the capital one cup that does not necessarily indicate that he would bring success to the club in the long run and does not mean he is a better manager than moyes. I also beleve that you are undermining moyes credits and abilities as a manager and as a tactician. You are entitled to your opinion and i am mine. Observing moyes over the past decade has made me conclude that he is one of the talented managers out there.
As for laudrup, a good run or a good season does not qualify you as an incredible tactician and manager so the jury is still out.

I don't want Laudrup here either so don't misunderstand me. I'm using him as an example to make a point, neither Moyes or Laudrup are what I think we need.

IF Mancini is to leave we need someone with a European pedigree who has in recent years shown they understand the Champions League and can take a team past the group stage. Our failings are European not domestic, yes we're 2nd this season but we were 1st last season and you can't win the league every season.

However the chiefs will want a progress and consistency in Europe and Moyes certainly doesn't guarantee that. In fact I think Moyes would be a failure in Europe too. A manager like Mourinho of course would guarantee the requested progress. And if Mourinho is too confrontational for the Director of Football model, there are still superior coaches out there to Moyes with better pedigree.

And my original point was on the style of football Moyes plays rather than his ability (which I also don't think is that great), how I don't believe it'd appeal to the head brass at City trying to market this fresh modern club to the world. Everton are basically a kick-and-rush get stuck in team.

LoveCity said:
The Future's Blue said:
Are you saying that if we keep our manager for a long time we are almost certainly guaranteed domestic success but it's still a gamble in Europe?

I'm talking about teams without big budgets, big spending teams can change managers as much as they want and their superior finances will always ensure some level of success (trophies, Champions League qualification).

The guy is arguing that Moyes plays how he does at Everton because of budget limitations and because it's practical. I think that's bollocks and that he wouldn't suddenly morph into a manager who plays beautiful football if he came to City. I'm using Laudrup as an example as to why this is false and also saying that if Laudrup stayed at Swansea as long as Moyes has at Everton he could probably mirror their accomplishments and probably surpass them (considering he's won a trophy already which Moyes has failed to do in 12 seasons).
Laudrup would surpass Moyes quite easily but as we all know, Laudrup will be picked up well before he shows that.

What is interesting is that you feel that longtitude has an affect on where a team can impact on the league. We have these debates about longevity and how it doesn't really work/really works but in reality it has shown to be a saving grace for many clubs. Moyes has probably been the highlight of many but the likes of Pullis and Martinez have been a dream to their owners. Keeping them strong or just within the Premier League is a God send whereas the likes of Ferguson and Wenger prove that the model works, respectively.

Many years ago, when Chelsea found the Golden Egg, I believed, even under Ranieri, that they'd be at the top for years, winning everything in sight once Mourinho proved his worth. But what happened with the instability an owner can achieve?

The Future's Blue said:
What is interesting is that you feel that longtitude has an affect on where a team can impact on the league.

On teams with a modest budget I do, because the only way for a team like this (like Everton) to stay consistent is to build an ethos at the club or else every new manager brings a new approach which threatens that stability. Martinez has also overachieved at Wigan so far, there are better squads in the Championship yet he keeps them up. Stoke are awful but Pulis is another example of a long-term manager who has built a style at a club that more or less ensures Premier League safety every season. Villa and QPR are the opposite.

At big clubs I don't think it's as important, you can buy your way out of trouble, just look at Chelsea. The most unstable club of them all yet they keep winning trophies. I would love a long-term manager here but only if it was the right man (someone like Klopp), I don't think Moyes is the right man, Mancini is a far superior coach to him. IF Mancini left, I'd be happy to see Mourinho here too in the knowledge he wouldn't be here in 4 years time (probably, or maybe he would fall in love with the club and settle down?) because he'd help build our brand domestically and Europe. But long-term we will need a manager who buys into what we're trying to build with the Etihad Campus etc. and who has the quality to make us a global force.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.