My article on Barca and their 'defence'

Lucky Toma

Just when I thought I was out...they pulled me bac
I try not to put my Daisy Cutter stuff on here anymore but would really value people's opinion on this one.
Just written it in one quick burst so probably rife with inaccuracies. If any clever-clogs points any out I'd be genuinely grateful. I will then of course quickly edit the article and pretend that I knew it all along haha

Also, do people agree/disagree with the general premise that I make?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2011/09/are-guardiola-and-barca-doing-away-with-defence/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2011/09 ... h-defence/</a>

Thats interesting.

Are they getting rid of the CB because of more teams deploying the "false 9", like Messi plays, causing the traditional CB to be drawn too far out and becoming ineffective?

I think this whole "Barca trying to play with 10 midfielders" is overplayed by some people in media.

What Guaediola does is to bring in players that can play multiple position and this was the reason Mascherano was signed in the first place. He is turned into a CB who can play in the midfield rather than a DM who can play as a CB.

When we started the season we had Mascherano, Pique, Fontas and Puyol(soon back from his injury) for the CB position. We have Abidal who can play that position as well and we have enough covers in Adriano and Maxwell if Abidal is played in CB.

But things changed when Pique got injured and we had only Mascherano and Fontas for the CB poisition. Fontas is very young and the idea is to incorporate him in the team gradually without pressure. That's why we played a 3-4-3 formation against Villarreal with Mascherano, Abidal and Busquets.( also note Alves was suspended for this match, and Adriano, Maxwell were out due to injuries or lack of playing time). So this formation has more to do with necessity.

Now that Puyol, Adriano, and Maxwell are back and Pique will retun soon we won't see both Mascherano and Busquets in the backline together.

What we will be seeing though is a 3-4-3 formations used more with Abidal, Puyol/Mascherano, and Pique in the back. Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta/Thiago in the midfield with Fabregas as a top of that diamon formation midfield. Like this:
--------------Valdes-----------------
Mascherano---Pique/Puyol------Abidal
----------------Busquets-------------
---Xavi/Thiago----------Iniesta/Thiago
Alves-----------Fabregas----------
-------------Messi--------------Villa

So be prepared to see even more domination in midfield and posession from Barca this season.

Good read! I think Barca will sign someone to play centre back in January because it isn't sustainable what they are doing at the moment.

Have they not got any youngsters coming through who can play the position?

They are like no other team in the world, it really is enticing.

Enjoyed reading it!

Cheers lads.

Ilovefotball, I agree with you about Mascherano being considered a very capable centre-back but I still think Guardiola's decision not to bring in more cover during the summer is down to his philosophy that, whilst players will always be required to play in defensive positions, they don't necessarily have to be defenders.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.