My latest research on Manchester's football birth

As an avid Lacrosse fan, as well as a Manchester City fan, I would encourage sports fans to watch a game. Its free, there is bar, and the sport is played just for the love of it. Clubs all over greater Manchester. The Majority of the England team come from the area and they train at Platt lane.

Im 51 ,52 in a few weeks,Im Ashton u Lyne born n bred ,but I feel more Manc than Lanc, I tell people when abroad ( if they ask where in Manchester are you from )Im from East Manchester rather than Lancs,even though Im a proud Lancastrian ,But even central Manchester older folk will still consider themselves Lancastrian too I guess

So, with these replies it shows that we're all individuals and identify with the area differently. Looks like nobody from this neck of the woods is proud of being a Shamesider (Tamesider) though

When you consider the transport links at the time Manchester was the hub of the rail network and it made perfect sense for the outlying clubs to want to be part of something based in Manchester rather than the other county towns.

@Gary James
Could you please help me win an argument, I work with a load of rags and dippers and the other day I congratulated the rags on having a scouser as leading scorer ,then added it was appropriate being a scouse team.
Have I imagined it or have I read it was the scouse railway workers working for LYR that formed newton heath ?
Or is there another scouse connection ?
Newton Heath's first president Fred Attock was from Liverpool. The railway workers came from all over the UK, some were from Liverpool, some Ireland, Scotland etc. and of course some were from Manchester, but Fred was a superintendent at the works and was their first senior official.

As an avid Lacrosse fan, as well as a Manchester City fan, I would encourage sports fans to watch a game. Its free, there is bar, and the sport is played just for the love of it. Clubs all over greater Manchester. The Majority of the England team come from the area and they train at Platt lane.
I agree. The first time I watched lacrosse I was impressed. It's also excellent, as my article shows, that Manchester was an early adopter of the sport thanks to the efforts of the Iroquois and Canadians to demonstrate the game at the Longsight Cricket ground (the original ground, not the one that most would know as the LCG). Please feel free to nudge any lacrosse fans to read the article which, basically, shows that soccer almost didn't get a chance to grow in the city because of rugby and lacrosse: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14660970.2016.1276238?src=recsys Thanks

Newton Heath's first president Fred Attock was from Liverpool. The railway workers came from all over the UK, some were from Liverpool, some Ireland, Scotland etc. and of course some were from Manchester, but Fred was a superintendent at the works and was their first senior official.
Thanks for that I will carry on calling them a scouse team then .its amazing how I remember something like that but carnt remember what I had for dinner 2 hours ago :+)

In the loft last week came across an old book of yours Manchester the greatest City started to read it again,2 players named Buxton Smith @ Doc Holmes was this William Smith and Billy Holmes according to bluemoon history. Can you tell me how they got the nicknames

In the loft last week came across an old book of yours Manchester the greatest City started to read it again,2 players named Buxton Smith @ Doc Holmes was this William Smith and Billy Holmes according to bluemoon history. Can you tell me how they got the nicknames
City had two players called William Smith and so one was named after the place he was from and the other was after his town - Buxton Smith and Stockport Smith.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.