Neil Young

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Aphex, 18 Apr 2017.

1. chesterbells

chesterbells

True, but at least he's an improvement on Bob Dylan, Morrissey, Michael Stipe and that bloke from radiohead

2. idahoblues

idahoblues

And Willie Nelson

3. Hart of the Matter

Hart of the Matter

Three albums cover his best output for me
    1. Decade
    2 Rust Never Sleeps
    3. Freedom

I also have a soft spot for This notes for you.

4. DT King of all Geordies

DT King of all Geordies

I went to poly with "Jo" she was in the year above me. Who is Jo you say? Well keen eyed viewers will have spotted it says Tribute to Jo about half way through. I think she was childhood friends with the band.

5. growl

growl

Discovered Neil Young rather late in life. In the last 10 years I have seen him live 20 times and collected over 40 of his albums. No one combines ferocious energy and delicate sensitivity to the same degree. Some great songs and albums suggested by the OP and others in this thread. The more obscure recordings, such as Will To Love can be equally rewarding. Keep on rocking...

6. I wish he'd get around to releasing the Archives Volume 2. There's loads of unreleased and obscure material from the 1972-1979 period (which Vol 2 will cover) which would be very interesting to hear.

e.g. He recorded 2 albums in this period (arguably his creative peak) which were never released (Home Grown, Chrome Dreams).

Archives Volume 1 was great, especially the Live acoustic albums, but that was released nearly 8 years ago.

Nothing happens quickly with Neil...

7. growl

growl

I know what you mean regarding Archives but perhaps he was distracted by writing, recording and touring 7 albums in the last 5 years! He has a minor unspecified illness at present so I guess a lull is inevitable.

8. growl

growl

Saw him solo at the Carnegie Hall in 2014. It doesn't get much better.

9. bluemoon risin'

bluemoon risin'

Taking the rise.
    Not listened to his stuff for a while now. Some cracking NY tracks mentioned.

Listening to music I've not heard in a while is like embracing an old friend.

10. Mike N

Mike N

I've always loved Cortez the Killer, he did it proud in Liverpool a couple of years ago!