New approach for City Academy

Discussion in 'EDS and Academy Forum' started by Saddleworth2, 23 Nov 2017.

1. foggy1974

foggy1974

production operative
    was under the presumption is was more the majority of the teams got moved up, so cheers for that.

2. Saddleworth2

Saddleworth2

Thanks. Appreciate the explanation. It does seem to fall short of being radical though. Surely moving a youngster up a level to match their ability and performance level is common sense. What do you make of Jason Wilcox if you don’t mind me asking?

3. twosips

twosips

its not as common as you'd think to be honest. It's also an obvious follow up to the loan method we're embracing, as otherwise we'd have 18/19 year olds in the way of the 17 year olds moved up to the EDS. They all go out on loan, so the 17 year olds can fill up the EDS.

Take Angel Gomes for example at United - their crown jewel who got a token debut in the last game of United's season aged 16. Lots of reds think he's the second coming. He's still not moved up to the 23s. He's excellent, defo, but United still have him as an u18 cos he's 17. At City we'd move him up. Not saying United are wrong, but more pointing out that what we are doing, though common sense, is a lot more aggressive than most clubs do.

4. Jesus Cheekbone

Jesus Cheekbone

Haha, join the club mate. 12 games played, 4 points (how the heck they won and drew one is miracle), losing 9:0, 10:0 regularly and my lad is the keeper and by mile the best in the team, without him easily 15:0 in most games. Mind you, beside saving some goals he's shit in everything, just like the rest of them - they can't run, they can't pass, they can't shoot, they can't bring the ball to half of their half - nothing :D

But I won't move him to any other team for next two-three years at least. It's a perfect situation for keeper, being tested literally every 30 seconds, if he doesn't learn the business there, than he's not up for it :D

Last edited: 24 Nov 2017
  5. foggy1974

foggy1974

production operative
    my lad has some talent tries to play like Silva bringing the ball down when other hoof but thinks he can just turn up and be a superstar. He plays on the left and the goalie kicks it down the right/middle all the time (ala Joe Hart), so at times the game passes him by, He hasnt scored in 2 seasons but then again think the striker has scored 2 in that time. It doesnt help that the team down the road is one of the best in Southampton league at this age group,so they can pick and choose the better players. Give the lads their dues they turn up nearly every week and turn up to training each week as well.

6. Fred_Quimby

Fred_Quimby

Not to forget all the young players we are loaning out to Girona and Breda etc and the gaps they are leaving.

7. Damocles

Damocles

As long as your lads are enjoying it then that's all that matters. The most important thing to coach into kids is a love of the game come rain or shine. The rest will come with any half decent coaching and hard work from your lads.

8. foggy1974

foggy1974

production operative
    they do enjoy it but with any team at any age on a losing run it would boost their moral to get a win.

9. Nelly's Left Foot

Nelly's Left Foot

I was surprised when I saw the headline in the MEN because this isn't really news! We first heard this "new approach" two months or so ago. MEN must have found themselves short of a story

10. mccity

mccity

Thread Killer
    The MEN have gone into overdrive with the clickbait this season.