New Book Possibility & Book Signing - 2pm Saturday

Gary James said:
love to but there's a few issues. Company that produced it have gone out of business and I haven't yet been able to find a publisher who is prepared to do it. It's a very expensive book to produce (which helped to make it a special book) and most publishers wouldn't invest that much in a book on City I'm afraid.

If a major publisher wants to do it I'd be happy to talk.

Cheapest I can find it on Amazon is £50, then it goes up to £80. These are second hand copies too.

Hi Gary,
Totally off topic,but why did clubs years ago play each other twice in a week or so.Also why did Citys attendances vary so much,ie 84,569 then 17,000 a week later? Thought you might know seen as you know all things about City.

SWSB said:
Hi Gary,
Totally off topic,but why did clubs years ago play each other twice in a week or so.Also why did Citys attendances vary so much,ie 84,569 then 17,000 a week later? Thought you might know seen as you know all things about City.

Twice in a week - A question for the Football League. It was a deliberate plan and I think it was to generate a bit more excitement. If you lose the first you want revenge etc.

Crowds - it was all about the attractiveness of the competition and the opponents. FA Cup games were seen as the most significant individual games and so tended to get better crowds. For much of football's history the FA Cup was deemed as much more glamourous than the League.

Also, because games were not televised or shown in cinemas that often, the only way to see the star players was to attend games. So, for example, a lot of City's 1930s League games with Arsenal were watched by very large crowds because Arsenal were perceived as the main side of the 30s (with City close behind!). Star players like Alex James could only be seen at the game.

The lower attended games were usually less attractive opponents (based on star players, League position etc.) but not always - if a game had to be played midweek it had to be completed in natural light, so often had to kick off during working hours. Also, it's fair to say that weather and transport also played its part as people could simply turn up on the day to pay.

Worth remembering that transport strikes and poor weather played their part in our low attendances during 1965 (and poor results!), but also that the years of the General Strike and Depression of the 1920s & 1930s do not appear to have affected City's crowds. Some of our greatest attendances came at a time of severe financial hardship in Manchester - in times of financial worry Mancs stuck by City!

sput the wonder pig said:
Are you the Gary James from the Museum ??

If so.. any joy of getting my pic that i emailed you about months ago... the one next to the big cinema screen on the tour !!!!!

Cheers
Gary

Sorry, I've not been able to trace it. All the photos from that time have been archived off somewhere and it's difficult tracing which shot was used. Sorry.

Gary James said:
sput the wonder pig said:
Are you the Gary James from the Museum ??

If so.. any joy of getting my pic that i emailed you about months ago... the one next to the big cinema screen on the tour !!!!!

Cheers
Gary

Sorry, I've not been able to trace it. All the photos from that time have been archived off somewhere and it's difficult tracing which shot was used. Sorry.

Ok Gary,

Thanks anyway, keep an eye out for me in case it pops up... and also if the club decides to change the design... will u let me know mate and maybe i could have the original that is in the Musuem at present...

Thanks
Gary

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.