New Brexit thread (with added poll)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ric, 3 Sep 2017.

?

If the Brexit referendum was held now, how would you vote?

1. Remain

272 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. Leave

149 vote(s)
    34.4%
  3. Undecided

12 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Ric

Ric

Over a year on from the original referendum, thought it would interesting to get a new straw poll on how people feel. The original poll on here broadly reflected national opinion (52/48 in favour of leaving). To prevent the original thread from becoming too unwieldy, I'll lock that and we can continue the discussion here.

For what it's worth, personally I was vehemently pro-remain at the time, and am even more so now. It'd be interesting to know though if people on either side have changed their views over the last year or so.

The last thread can still be viewed here:
    http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/article-50-brexit-negotiations.327393

2. gavvo

gavvo

I was pro-leave and am even more so now. The reason this vote will be skewed is that leavers won the argument and so see little point in having a re-run of a debate that has already been won. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

3. casserole of nonsense

casserole of nonsense

Could you maybe include a poll for who has changed their mind since the referendum? That might be more fun?

4. BobKowalski

BobKowalski

Think I have gone from vehemently pro-remain to rabid pro-remain. Yeah shocker I know.

5. Ric

Ric

Personally I think it'd be interesting to see if opinions are still the same, or have changed. Not that a poll on a football forum matters hugely of course.

6. Ric

Ric

Sadly the forum software doesn't allow for that, but yeah a separate poll on that would be interesting.

7. Mëtal Bikër

Mëtal Bikër

Mëtalhëad
    Was once an advocate of the European Union, that changed around 2008 following their 'plans' for Europe and the subsequent economic crash.
    Became heavily pro leave after doing research into exactly how the organisation was run. Was on the side of Labour Leave campaign during the referendum debate, felt slightly betrayed at how lifelong advocate of leaving the common market and European Union Jeremy Corbyn changed his tune to the remain side after years of voting against Maastrict and Lisbon, but hey-ho.

One year on and I am bitterly dissapointed at the faffing around and length of time it's taking; granted the negotiations wouldn't happen overnight but there do seem to be forces at work to frustrate, delay and seemingly try and prevent the outcome from taking place, despite the numerous "we accept the result" rhetoric. Despite these frustrations i've found they have made me even more determinant to leave the EU, completely. Before I wished to leave the EU and then re-negotiate terms to accept membership on EFTA rules, scaling back our involvement without cutting all ties as it were.

Now, I want nothing to do with Europe, at all. It's a dying bloc, one that has a 20th Century philosophy embedded in the age of empires. Sooner it goes the better and then hopefully unite under a new scheme, one that does not tie us all together politically and economically.

8. gavvo

gavvo

Ric I'm sure you get this but my point is the people who will be most interested in "voting" on this thread are those that lost the real debate and the real vote. So it will hardly be representative of people changing their minds. The voters on here will simply be those still choking on the fact that the people chose to vote for something they didn't want. If a vote on here makes those people feel better then OK fine, feel better. But the decision has been made.

9. 1.618034

Post 2 and you're already making excuses.

Get 'em in early!

10. Mëtal Bikër

Mëtal Bikër

Mëtalhëad
    That's bound to happen, mate. Personally I think this thread has been needed for a long while. Many still are angry about the decision, some are bewildered as to how anyone could vote to leave the EU and feel that the way negotiations have gone, the debacle in winter getting the vote through parliament, counter protests etc are evident that the wrong decision was made.

The Article 50 thread lost it's purpose so hopefully the virtriol can end up here and if the poll shows a commanding lead for remain it might be some comfort to them. Won't change anything though :)