New Brexit thread (with added poll)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ric, 3 Sep 2017.

?

If the Brexit referendum was held now, how would you vote?

1. Remain

486 vote(s)
    59.9%
  2. Leave

305 vote(s)
    37.6%
  3. Undecided

20 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Len Rum

Len Rum

There's no point in addressing the issues you've raised mate because unlike you I don't seek to link current good/bad economic news to Brexit, unless there is a definite link.
    The Goldman Sachs statement you referred to is nothing more than their CEO saying thing's aren't as bad as he thought they would be - so what?

2. Vic

Vic

I nearly had the satisfaction of not reading any of that, but my eye lighted on

b) FFS - if you look back - my post was not aimed at you at all - the post followed and replied to the one from Len - but you could not stop yourself from jumping in and, IMO, embarrassing yourself further

I was replying to a post that clearly was a reply to mine.

And you say this? - really?? preceded by conjecture and opinion stated as facts: ".....it's not the forecasts that puts the UK in peril, it's Brexit."
    I confess, that was partly a wind-up - except I didn't label it as a "fact". That's your problem: my opinion, your facts.

For someone who's won, why are you so cross?

3. mcfc1632

mcfc1632

Ha ha - that is pretty weak

You have that arse about face - I tend not to ever post about economic/trade stuff - but it is all you guys can engage in - so I thought that I would give you some news in your 'area of expertise'

And then you give this response - laughable - you guys were loving it when it was considered to be 'evidence' of doom and gloom for the City of London

Ok then - so not that subject, what about the other 3 or 4 'non-economic' issues that I have asked you about or are they also no-go areas?

What about the EU deal with Turkey and the issues of that unravelling?

What about the tensions in Germany and the constraints on them increasing their contributions?

What about the issues in Hungary and by extension the potential for the rise of the pro-sovereign faction in the EU?

In particular what about the evidence from Eurostat themselves identifying the budget shortfall impact of the UK leaving. I assume that I do not have to dig up your posts for you telling me that I as basically talking out of my arse because the loss of the UK contributions would not cause meaningful issues to the EU. Do you remember how sure and dismissive you were? You sound like the oracle on such matters at the time.

Or is everything a no-go area if it is an inconvenient truth?

4. Vic

Vic

Shurely shome mishtake there. Britain's GDP is about 6% of the EU total GDP, and even that doesn't directly affect contributions (the impact is less anyway because we've had the rebate for years). Even without seeing the Eurostat report (rather than rely on an FT journalist) it's hard to see that the stats will show anything other than a bad effect on the 27's economy but that the UK economy will be worse affected - unless things have really changed since last year.

..the annual average impact would be of the order of 0.01 to 0.05% of GDP: i.e. the impacts would be insignificant and hardly noticeable at the macro-economic level for the whole EU27 economy. This does not exclude that individual sectors, or some small member states would be more significantly affected, on which we comment further below. The results for the UK are much larger, where the losses average 1.31 to 4.21% of GDP for the optimistic and pessimist scenarios respectively.
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/STUD/2017/595374/IPOL_STU(2017)595374_EN.pdf

If you really think this is "doom and gloom" for the EU, it's worse for the UK and I simply do not comprehend your glee.

5. Vic

Vic

The News Quiz tonight actually had someone say they hoped the Illuminati were real, as that would mean someone was in control (i.e. someone with better sense than Trump and Putin). I don't know who you think are the answers to 1 & 2 - I can't believe you think the answer is the EU, but that would explain your paranoia about it.

It's probably a bit of a distraction from the thread (and not worth its own) but personally I'm not sure that the brief history of "nation states" is that worth celebrating. But given that so many nation states owe their existence to treaties, what's wrong with treaties? As to whether the concept is necessarily a good thing, I just mention Schleswig-Holstein, Silesia, Yugoslavia, other artificial imposed states like Iraq and Syria, Irish independence, Scots nationalism, and why haven't we got a Kurdistan?

6. blueinsa

blueinsa

The realisation that project fear isnt going to stop the process of us leaving is now dawning on them and its time to get all positive again i see lol.

7. RabidCity

RabidCity

Hi Vic,

I stopped reading at Britain's GDP being 6% of the EU-
    EU GDP 2016 £17tn
    Britain GDP 2016 2.6tn
    Britain GDP 15% of EU.

I assume the rest of your post is nonsense also.

8. Vic

Vic

Don't assume that, but I know where I went wrong in my calculations, sir.

9. Gaylord du Bois

Gaylord du Bois

The Syrian issue has just put a shit deal to bed.

10. Vic

Vic

Is that a crossword clue?