New Brexit thread (with added poll)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ric, 3 Sep 2017.

?

If the Brexit referendum was held now, how would you vote?

1. Remain

282 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. Leave

153 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. Undecided

14 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. cibaman

cibaman

The economists (on both sides of the debate) tend to assume that politicians will act rationally. They generally don't take into consideration the relative quality of the politicians conducting the negotiations, or the political minefield that they are required to negotiate their way through.

2. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

Indolence
    We've had that quoted before, so I'll quote the last paragraph again.

The question is how long firms will remain on autopilot. Even those that are not changing their behaviour because of the prospect of Brexit will be affected by its reality in 18 months. The adoption of a restrictive post-Brexit immigration policy, of the sort outlined this week in a leaked document from the Home Office, or the failure to reach any kind of trade deal with the EU, would deprive companies of the people and products they rely on. The resulting economic crunch would affect all firms, including those that feel insulated from the EU. The slump may merely have been deferred.

3. Fred_Quimby

Fred_Quimby

I still cannot believe that we will be better off with limited access to the largest trading block in the world. Multinational firms are biding their time to see what happens. If you were say, Nissan, would you invest heavily in new models until you found out what access they would have to the single market? Don't give me that crap that they need us more than we need them, we are less than 2% of the EU market.

4. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

professional underacheiver
    Right... so one man makes a speech from which you say the EU Army is here now? Conscription is here now? We are at war with Russia now?

You do realise that if this is the long term fantasy of Juncker and his cohorts the first thing they need is ratification from 27 other member states? Its not just what Juncker says is or even has already happened?

5. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

Indolence
    Not sure where you get the 2% from, but other than that, agreed. No single EU country stands to lose as much as we do if there's no trade deal. As a collective, they export more to us than we do to them, but the losses they would experience are shared amongst 27 member states. We have to bear all our losses all on our own. It puts us in a terrible negotiating position.

The daft thing is, this was always the case. Nothing has changed. The enormous difficulty in trying to negotiate any sort of deal which is good for us, was entirely predicted but dismissed as scaremongering.

6. BobKowalski

BobKowalski

I am quite happy to read it. In turn you should read my post. I said that if Brexit involves no (or even minimal) economic change then life will go on. Right now there has been zero change. Everything is pointing to a transition deal of at least two years as 'close to the status quo as possible' according to Hammond so that it is minimal or no change until what 2021? So 4 years then. My hope and expectation is that ultimately we will exit politically but retain the economic links with the EU.

Boeing have broken ground on a new facility in Sheffield. Lots of reasons they have decided to do so. One is being close to Sheffield AMRC which is part funded by the EU Regional Development Fund. That is what it's about for me. Being part of the EU. Developing facilities etc and helping win non EU business. Best of both worlds and all that.

Brexit though is about closing ourselves off. If you want us to do it then fine but don't give me any shit about how it's a good idea or a positive. And it's a crashing bore. We are currently enmeshed in negotiations where our main goal is to change everything and simultaneously change nothing. No wonder we sound increasingly desperate.

7. smudgedj

smudgedj

It was just a little joke (maybe) that's why there is a 'lol on the end, tis an 'tinternet thing.

The EU Parliament passed a resolution to approve the EU Army on 22nd November 2016.
    Don't be silly; he was Deputy Prime Minister he knows all about it. He lied.

8. GortonBlue62

GortonBlue62

You hope. The bulk of the article describes what's happening. The closing paragraph describes what might happen.

We'll be fine just like we were fine when we didn't join the Euro and just as we have been fine since voting to leave the EU.

In fact we'll be more than fine, we'll thrive.

9. GortonBlue62

GortonBlue62

Nothing could be further than the truth than to suggest that Brexit is about shutting ourselves off.

It may suit the remainers to paint us brexiteers as insular, narrow minded and even racist, but brexit is about embracing the future not being stuck with a sclerotic outdated idea of the future (that's the EU in case you're not getting my drift).

10. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

Indolence
    Sure, because leaving the EU is just like not joining the Euro, isn't it. Liking your total lack of any logic there mate.