New Brexit thread (with added poll)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ric, 3 Sep 2017.

?

If the Brexit referendum was held now, how would you vote?

1. Remain

407 vote(s)
    60.8%
  2. Leave

245 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. Undecided

17 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. blueinsa

blueinsa

Rag Hunter!
    Project fear has been proven to be a lie given the doom and gloom predicted for the day after a vote to leave just never happened.

Now we are being told planes will be grounded pmsl.......ok, sure they will.

Lets just wait and see what post brexit brings shall we before claiming it a disaster.

2. BobKowalski

BobKowalski

Ha the classic British fudge where everyone gets what they want or think they do. I'll definitely go for it...

3. blueinsa

blueinsa

Rag Hunter!
    Within weeks its chippy wrapping paper and we are all moaning about something else.

Sounds about right tbh.

4. BobKowalski

BobKowalski

Just ain't going to happen. You imagine the French if we crashed out? Take our food exports of which most go to the EU. Even if we got round tariffs the French will start insisting that, say, Stilton cheese destined for Nothern France has be checked out by their one inspection plant prior to sale. And the plant happens to be in the South of France. The French will have a field day playing silly buggers with a book of dumb arse rules and regs. They love pulling that shit.

Besides the draft notes released on latest negotiations say the EU should start prep work on trade and transition which is a good sign. December will be the key month. Guess we will find out then.

5. BlueAnorak

BlueAnorak

Basically the EU goes bust without our cash as it is clearly unable and unwilling to reduce its spending to fit it's revenue. None of the other major contributors are willing to pay more either.
    The trouble is the EU bureaucracy won't accept any compromise at all. The UK must be seen to suffer.Hence the state of negotiations.
    Actually, I'm sure a deal can be done that allows both sides to come out of it with most of what they want. For example I'm sure I'm sure €100bn spread over 25 years gradually decreasing from 75% of current UK contributions down to nothing would be acceptable to everyone except the loony leavers.
    I'd certainly accept that if market access for goods and services was agreed both ways
    What I don't understand is the UK Government's attitude to this - either they're playing a long term game that allows the EU to hang themselves and go bust in March 2019 or they're resembling a shambles.
    May isn't a people person but you don't remain as home secretary as long as she did pretty much without incident by not being able to run a government department well. I'll stick with the former view for now and see how it plays out.

6. Vic

Vic

I'm not sure if that's a genuine question or sarcastic but the answer is yes.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/03/brexit-irish-peace-process-british-eurosceptics-uk-borders

At least we Guardian readers had it explained.

If Parliament is sovereign it can be voted up again. It takes a handful of Tory MPs who really don't fancy the route of "let's do it otherwise we'll never know what a disaster it could be".
    Iceberg dead ahead!

Ooh this could be interesting. Full ahead both!

7. chabal

chabal

If I was a betting man I'd go for the latter option.

8. Len Rum

Len Rum

Gentleman
    Or maybe not mate.
    There's one more big crisis left in this drama.
    Who knows where we could end up.

9. Len Rum

Len Rum

Gentleman
    That's the spirit mate.

10. BobKowalski

BobKowalski

Last little titbit. In addition to 100+ MP's demanding that the Govt release the Brexit impact studies there could be legal action under the FOI Act to force them to do so. Think the Govt has 14 days to respond otherwise they are up before the beak. The Govt has so far refused to release the papers.

And the Repeal bill will not make committee stage next week as planned due to the number of amendments and provisions that have been filed. Which is going to be a major headache for the Govt. Fun times.