New Brexit thread (with added poll)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ric, 3 Sep 2017.

?

If the Brexit referendum was held now, how would you vote?

1. Remain

403 vote(s)
    60.8%
  2. Leave

243 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Undecided

17 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

Ah, Saddleworth2, the outfall of every election I have witnessed, been interested in, taken part in, has always rendered one outcome - self-interest of those elected. And once elected they constantly and shamelessly two-finger the people who voted for them. To paraphrase some purple-nosed git - A government which governs for the benefit of the people, Wayne? Not in my lifetime!

2. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

professional underacheiver
    yeah but now they know for sure the muppets they are dealing with they hold the cards and can go in hard

3. bluethrunthru

bluethrunthru

professional underacheiver
    Flashback - remember that photo from when the talks opened and the EU side had folders bulging with papers to make their case and our side had one sheet of A4 - a pencil - and a packed lunch. Nothing has changed since that day - Davies arrogantly assumed he could go and tell the EU what they were going to do to accommodate us and clearly still does and has no regard whatsoever about what his approach may mean for the country.

4. Magicpole

Magicpole

Low Intelligence Officer
    You forgot to mention they voted through £30b welfare cuts that put the poor and disabled into the hole they are now in.

That's where the Red Tory, as we call them up here, got that name.

Ed Ballsack boasted how they would be tougher on austerity than the Tories. £30b in welfare cuts supported. That killed them electorally up here. And rightly so. We don't have a bedroom tax because labour lost.

The whole story about the origin of that justified slur is needed. Not just the acceptable bits of their manifesto. They sold the jerseys.

5. Vic

Vic

Give over. The majority of people didn't know that. They were told otherwise. I knew it would be messy, even chaotic, but I didn't know it would be this chaotic, and that's because May went full rabid Tory. There was a poll just before the referendum which had a "consensus" of a fairly big majority either for Remain or go the Norway way. May has pandered to the Tory Europhiles, which was what got us in the mess in the first place.

6. BobKowalski

BobKowalski

As cynical as I am about politics and politicians this is just not true. It may be true of some politicians but the vast majority no. When politicians fail it is not shameless self interest but external events beyond their control and/or beyond their abilities to handle them that brings them down. May isn’t failing because she is shamelessly two fingering the people who voted for her she is failing because she is trying to deliver on a referendum that contains multiple pressure points that are binary opposites. Satisfy one pressure she triggers the other.

The best current example of a politician shamelessly two fingering the people who voted for him is Trump. Compare his promises on Health and Taxes to the reality and they are polar opposites. To some extent his supporters are prepared to be shafted as long as he satisfies their need for him to berate ‘liberals’ and minorities and lord it over other countries irrespective of how much damage that causes to the country or even themselves in the long run. It’s an odd way of looking at the world but I guess it makes them feel better. Sad fuckers.

7. ganganvince

ganganvince

Production supervisor
    That would apply to both numbers

8. blueparrot

blueparrot

No, you said we import 300 mill therefore they export 300 mill between 27 countries, and we export 240 mill which is divided by just us. I don't know if your numbers are right or wrong but that's what you posted.

9. Len Rum

Len Rum

Gentleman
    This has been explained before to vince but he doesn't seem to take it on board.

10. Saddleworth2

Saddleworth2

That’s exactly what I posted earlier. The level of incompetence verges on the criminal.