New Brexit thread (with added poll)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ric, 3 Sep 2017.

?

If the Brexit referendum was held now, how would you vote?

1. Remain

403 vote(s)
    60.8%
  2. Leave

243 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Undecided

17 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. ganganvince

ganganvince

Production supervisor
    When was that? The only conversation I have ever had with yourself on bluemoon was regarding whether or not it is ok for a minister to lie which I categorically believe it isn't. please put any other posts I may have forgotten about up as a quote and I will apologise.

2. ganganvince

ganganvince

Production supervisor
    That depends on whether you treat the EU as a trading block or a group of member countries. Only 4 of the member states have a deficit with the UK should you want to break into member states

3. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

Indolence
    The deal - if there is one - will be voted on by individual member states.

The UK exports £240bn of stuff to the EU. The biggest EU exporter to the UK is Germany, with about £85bn of exports to us. This is about 15% of Germany's total exports. Our exports to the EU are about 44% of our exports. So Germany care about 3 times less than we do about having a trade deal.

(Incidentally, the powerful and influential German car industry exports of the order to 12% of its output to the UK. If there's a 10% tariff applied to German cars in the UK and that depresses German car sales here by 10%, that means Germany's global car output is down by 1.2%. But uplifted by increased sales to 26 other member states where Jaguars are now more expensive. So the "hit" to the German car industry would perhaps be something less than around 1% of volume. Hardly something they would be apoplectic about. They'd recover that lost volume in 1 trading year.)

Next is Holland, which exports about £30bn of stuff to us. So they would be about 8 times less impacted than we would be. After that you have Belgium and France, which are about the same on about £25bn a piece. So they care about 10 times less about having a trade deal. With "no deal", our exports are damaged 10 times more than theirs.

Don't get me wrong, these countries would no doubt like a trade deal, provided it doesn't mean we have a better deal outside the EU than they have within it. And provided the EU isn't agreeing to terms that could be damaging to the EU as a whole. But they are FAR less dependent upon one than we are. No deal is somewhat inconvenient to France, but hardly the end of the world for them.

Lower down the list, you get to countries that basically export bugger all to us and who couldn't give a toss whether there is a trade deal or not. But they still get to vote on it.

4. [​IMG]

Seems the trend has been long and I know where I'd be wanting my future trade deals!

Anyway - Seems we have progress tonight / tomorrow am.

5. ganganvince

ganganvince

Production supervisor
    Buy into most of that but with globalisation both jaguars and Land Rovers are also built in Slovakia and Austria thus avoiding the levy.

6. So the financial sector on the news getting ready to implement contingency plans in Q1 2018 because a "no deal" will be catastrophic. Meanwhile BobK et al, want the government to fuck off for a bit and get some reports done whist the clock is ticking. Very very funny!

Last edited: 7 Dec 2017 at 8:09 PM
  7. They are also focussing on "on-shoring" component manufacturing to meet future WTO "rules of origin". From memory a car has to be 55% made in the UK to be classed as "British" and benefit from WTO rules. Our car manufacturing heartland of the midlands will benefit greatly from it.

8. Ricster

Ricster

Why are you misleading people? It's quite clear on the internet after 5 minutes researching it that a lot of businesses wanted to leave.
    Superdrug, Sony, Goldman Sachs, Dyson and BAT to name a few all wanted Brexit.
    The reason why, and this is my own opinion, is in January 2019 the EU will implement the EU Tax Avoidance scheme to go after the big companies that have continually dodged paying the taxes they should. Maybe also explains why Article 50 was triggered.
    To say businesses wanted to stay though is a load of faeces. Unless you're talking about the small business man

9. Ricster

Ricster

They've had over a year to do those reports and haven't given a flying fuck to do them. Thats why people are pissed

10. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

Indolence
    I didn't know that.

But it's not really the point. The fact remains that around 44% of our exports from the UK are to the EU and would be subject to the applicable tariffs if we don't have a trade deal.