New business advice please....money

The Ox

I'm thinking of setting my missus up in a small cafe business, has anyone on here ever employed their partner ?
Is it best practice to set up a Ltd company and me be the 100% Shareholder and pay her wage or do 50/50 pay her wage and I take the dividends ? If I employ her, could I pay her £11k to remain under the tax threshold and then top her up with cash out of my own pocket ? It's only a small business which I anticipate would turnover approx £40/£45k, pay her £20k, overheads will be approx £13k (very minimal costs) leaving between £7k/£12k. Obviously it's nothing massive my end but will provide some nice pocket money if my sums are correct.

A couple of points. Paying dividends isnt as good as it was, the tax man has changed it. If you pay yourself a dividend on top of your normal wages and it takes you over the 40% tax threshold you will be taxed at that rate, (40%) gone are the days when no matter how much you earned it was tax free (to you as an individual)
For that reason if you set it up as a limited company name the two of you as Directors, pay your wife minimum wage and you can share the dividend out between you, if neccasary paying her a bigger dividend.
Your wife can be both a Director and an employee. you will have to pay her minimum wage, £7.20. x 40 hours a week x 48 weeks = £13,824. OK she could do less hours and then top her up with Directors dividend.

The danger is surely she will need to employ someone else ? Holidays ? 6 day week ? then it is a nightmare, sick pay, pension, maternity.

I'm thinking of setting my missus up in a small cafe business, has anyone on here ever employed their partner ?
Is it best practice to set up a Ltd company and me be the 100% Shareholder and pay her wage or do 50/50 pay her wage and I take the dividends ? If I employ her, could I pay her £11k to remain under the tax threshold and then top her up with cash out of my own pocket ? It's only a small business which I anticipate would turnover approx £40/£45k, pay her £20k, overheads will be approx £13k (very minimal costs) leaving between £7k/£12k. Obviously it's nothing massive my end but will provide some nice pocket money if my sums are correct.
If you're aiming for those levels of turnover you're probably better off sticking as a sole trader - the reporting obligations on yearly accounts are far less strict and you can do them yourself with a little bit of knowledge. Limited companies need to submit statutory accounts and a corporation tax return.

If you're aiming for those levels of turnover you're probably better off sticking as a sole trader - the reporting obligations on yearly accounts are far less strict and you can do them yourself with a little bit of knowledge. Limited companies need to submit statutory accounts and a corporation tax return.

Aguero, you are far more financially astute than I am so i will ask the question, if he (she) is a sole trader how can he pay his wife minimum wage ? are you saying she is better off running it and taking all the profits ?

Aguero, you are far more financially astute than I am so i will ask the question, if he (she) is a sole trader how can he pay his wife minimum wage ? are you saying she is better off running it and taking all the profits ?
Sole traders are allowed to employ staff mate.

A couple of points. Paying dividends isnt as good as it was, the tax man has changed it. If you pay yourself a dividend on top of your normal wages and it takes you over the 40% tax threshold you will be taxed at that rate, (40%) gone are the days when no matter how much you earned it was tax free (to you as an individual)
For that reason if you set it up as a limited company name the two of you as Directors, pay your wife minimum wage and you can share the dividend out between you, if neccasary paying her a bigger dividend.
Your wife can be both a Director and an employee. you will have to pay her minimum wage, £7.20. x 40 hours a week x 48 weeks = £13,824. OK she could do less hours and then top her up with Directors dividend.

The danger is surely she will need to employ someone else ? Holidays ? 6 day week ? then it is a nightmare, sick pay, pension, maternity.

They have changed the rules again in that you get the first £5k dividend tax free and over that you are charged 7% tax on them up to the 40% threshold.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.