New official City website

Thanks for the kind words, but @Ric is solely the man who decides what the site looks like. My role is to recommend how best to keep it up, running, and fast.

City have a different target audience than Bluemoon. In my opinion, our site needs to be clean and simple as our main demographic is long term City fans - many of which aren't tech savvy and I'd argue the Mancunian culture is to look at overdesigned sites and think they're, for lack of a better term, try hard busy ****s. We as a culture enjoy directness and we don't have time for nonsense but there's a familial warmth there that shines through. Just like families we go at each other with an unmatched ferocity but even the worst enemies on here will defend each other against outside attacks. I think Bluemoon represents us as a fanbase extremely well in both tone and design. We are the soul of City fans in all of its ugly beauty.

City are now a corporation. They have a Global Style Guide which they are forced to use across every site they have in the CFG. It dictates font sizes, screen real estate, what gestures they can't use as it is offensive in Indonesia, this type of thing. They have Digital Product Managers who have to work with Fan Engagement Managers in a Committee formed by their design partners chaired by the Marketing Director with key inputs from the Communications Manager to put together infographics to make the best Annual Financial Report in football.

Again in my opinion, City as a business culture seems to have collapsed in on itself. Under Cook there was not only an air of engagement that others have covered but also an air of entrepreneurialism. City were the new kids on the block so we got to reinvent the wheel in new and interesting ways. The decision to use YouTube instead of a TV channel was a good example of this. We were willing to be risky because we had the investment to fail and this created a culture of thinking differently. Under Soriano we now seem to do a lot of things by rote - not in the major decisions like setting up the CFG but just in the smaller things. And our ticket website/membership system has been a disgrace for as long as I can remember.

I don't have a single job, instead I work freelance in a couple of different areas which allows me to switch more and less into fields as my interest wanes or peaks (or often how much I need the money!). So I'm probably not the best example but to be honest I wouldn't be interested in ever working with City Digital. They seem to be at odds with how I design projects culturally and thematically.

Ric is obviously his own man and I'd be surprised if they haven't reached out on occasion to take advantage of his skills because he can navigate those waters with ease and would bring a deep understanding of the culture of the fanbase over and above literally every single person currently employed at City.

But it's not my cup of tea now. I'm more of an early takeover City type of guy. I like trying things just for the sake of the experiment.

Thanks Damo, that's really enlightening, I thought you were a computer/IT genius and the above only confirms it. I had a techy problem on this site some years ago and you sorted it in 2 minutes. I have given up on the mcfc web-site to be honest and nearly thrown my computer out of the window, I now rely on this site for information. Considering all the resources available at City it is a complete disgrace. Oh and I haven't even started on my disabled mate and the problems he has encountered at City. I'm dashing out just now but will come back later on this whole issue of lack of fan engagement which even Khaldoon recognises.

Again many thanks for what you and particularly Ric have done over the years on this brilliant site.

OS is down. Bloody typical, we are waiting for transfer news and all that's there now is a folksy announcement telling 'football fans' the site cannot be accessed.

As web sites go its just not fit for purpose !! Fans have been complaining for some time now
and in true city fashion bugger all been done to address the issues raised.

Scroll to the bottom of the Home Page where it lists the squad - seems we haven't signed Ederson after all as he isn't listed in the goalies column.

All I wanted was to look at some training pics..

m4dp2Bc.png

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.