New Penalties For Speeding.

Tell that to the parents of a child you've just run over.

Dont go there, "Think of the children" is the number one bullshite line politicians come out with to justify something, how about the parents keep an eye on them, or teach the kids not to run into the road.

Most of the cameras and vans are on fast A roads just where the limit changes from say 60 to 40, if the idea was to safeguard Children then they are in the wrong place.

Great reply. My father in law was having a CVT attack for 30 minutes and then called an ambulance. The reply was "we have no ambulances in the area but we will get one to you as soon as we can". In the mean time my wife drove from Eccles to Stockport which took 30 minutes and arrived at her dads and still no ambulance. 999 was called again and she was advised that one will be sent shortly. Luckily she is a nurse and said she will take him herself. The ambulance service said we don't advise that and she said tough as he will be dead by the time you arrive. Arrived at A&E and he was rushed through and given the whole shock to put his heart back into rhythm. The doctors said another 5 minutes he would be dead. So at times, the emergency services aren't always the best call to help out.

Shouldn't this be in the general election thread as an example of Tory cuts (along with not having enough traffic cops to enforce traffic laws and provide a deterrent that way)?

Anyway, it's not the fine, it's the increase in insurance costs that really deters - that and not causing an accident that puts someone in need of an ambulance that doesn't come because of Tory cuts.

I did a quick calculation and someone on minimum wage working 40 hours a week would have to pay approximately £220 if they get the smallest fine. That's quite some increase on the usual £80 fine.
Its yet another money making scam.

Dont go there, "Think of the children" is the number one bullshite line politicians come out with to justify something, how about the parents keep an eye on them, or teach the kids not to run into the road.

Most of the cameras and vans are on fast A roads just where the limit changes from say 60 to 40, if the idea was to safeguard Children then they are in the wrong place.

How about you read the post I was replying to .

Any experienced driver will know that a speed limit is not supposed to be the maximum safe speed for a particular road. There's plenty of narrow roads with cars parked either side where it would be totally reckless to even drive at 30 whilst there's also plenty of wide 30mph limit roads where there's good visibility and very few pedestrians where it would be perfectly safe to go at 40. Out in the countryside where the national speed limit applies it certainly isn't safe to shoot round a sharp bend at 60mph even though it's legal. The main problem is that the police don't enforce speed limits on dangerous stretches of road because they don't have the necessary view from the back of their vans to catch people and they tend to park them where visibility is good where it's actually safe to drive a few mph above the speed limit. No-one would have the slightest problem if they focused their efforts on catching the idiots that drive too fast where it's actually dangerous to do so rather than picking up easy catches where someone absentmindedly drifts up to 35 in a 30 where it would actually be safe to go at 40.

Any experienced driver will know that a speed limit is not supposed to be the maximum safe speed for a particular road. There's plenty of narrow roads with cars parked either side where it would be totally reckless to even drive at 30 whilst there's also plenty of wide 30mph limit roads where there's good visibility and very few pedestrians where it would be perfectly safe to go at 40. Out in the countryside where the national speed limit applies it certainly isn't safe to shoot round a sharp bend at 60mph even though it's legal. The main problem is that the police don't enforce speed limits on dangerous stretches of road because they don't have the necessary view from the back of their vans to catch people and they tend to park them where visibility is good where it's actually safe to drive a few mph above the speed limit. No-one would have the slightest problem if they focused their efforts on catching the idiots that drive too fast where it's actually dangerous to do so rather than picking up easy catches where someone absentmindedly drifts up to 35 in a 30 where it would actually be safe to go at 40.

Spot on.

The other thing that does my head in is where they have arbitrarily decided to change (i.e. reduce - I've never seen it go up!) the speed limit somewhere. LIke round my way, there's a stretch of straight road that used to me a 60 limit and they've changed it to 30. And they radar along there regularly. So you get done for doing 40, when weeks earlier, 60 was deemed perfectly safe. Absolutely ridiculous.

In an ideal world, all we'd really need is one law to cover everything: Don't behave like a dickhead. That would cover it. I mean there was someone killed around just around the corner from me only the other week, who crashed their Mitsubishi Evo, doing 106 mph in a 30 zone at 9:15 on a Saturday morning. It was the poor sod in the back seat of the car who died. Shame it wasn't the driver.

There's a secondary school across from a dual carriageway 40mph road from our local Asda with another school on the same side as the store a bit down the road. Despite two separate sets of crossing lights I've lost count of the number of flower tributes for the idiot kids who don't wait or are head down looking at their phones. Bullshine? I think not.

And yes, there are frequently police vans parked up clearly marked.

On a more general note speed limits are exactly what it says on the tin, limits, not minimum targets.

Princess Parkway speed limit is being reduced to 30 from the M60 all the way to town from Sunday 30th. Watch out.

Very good post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.