New runway at heathrow

They do this already,with freight on planes,all mainly done at East Midlands Airport
Hence Toton International being built for HS2. Which will connect with both the midland mainline for people wanting Derby,Leicester or Nottingham 15 to 30 miss away and the A52/M1.

Depends on travel time and cost. When I lived in Leeds it was most time and cost effective to get a bus to Leeds Bradford airport, fly to Dusseldorf and get a train to Cologne than to get anywhere that flew directly to Cologne.

However, train times and cost are a huge problem in this country. I disagree with HS2 but it should help the former. Can't imagine it'll be cheap to ride though.

It currently costs £22 to travel one way into central London from Heathrow for a distance of what 15 miles? Imagine what a trip taking 100 will cost and it isn't ever going to get cheaper. Heathrow is an economy of scale where the more capacity that gets pumped in the cheaper it will get for customers. I flew a while back to New York and flying direct was £600 more expensive from Manchester as opposed to Heathrow, if they increase capacity it puts pressure on everyone to manage their prices.

It just needs to get done and done properly I'm afraid, there is no reasonable alternative.

It currently costs £22 to travel one way into central London from Heathrow for a distance of what 15 miles? Imagine what a trip taking 100 will cost and it isn't ever going to get cheaper. Heathrow is an economy of scale where the more capacity that gets pumped in the cheaper it will get for customers. I flew a while back to New York and flying direct was £600 more expensive from Manchester as opposed to Heathrow, if they increase capacity it puts pressure on everyone to manage their prices.

It just needs to get done and done properly I'm afraid, there is no reasonable alternative.

Travel generally isn't based on a per mile cost - it's more charging what they can get, and going from a city centre to an airport will always be lucrative.

Just sends very insular to me to keep all of the expansion to London when they could have built in Birmingham, subsidised rail fares and pissed off much fewer people.

Travel generally isn't based on a per mile cost - it's more charging what they can get, and going from a city centre to an airport will always be lucrative.

Just sends very insular to me to keep all of the expansion to London when they could have built in Birmingham, subsidised rail fares and pissed off much fewer people.

They could have done but flying to London and ending up in Birmingham is not what the traveller wants. They want to fly to London. Otherwise the operators all turn into easy jet.

They could have done but flying to London and ending up in Birmingham is not what the traveller wants. They want to fly to London. Otherwise the operators all turn into easy jet.

If they're flying to London then why can't they go to one of the existing Heathrow runways, or Gatwick, or Stansted, etc.

I think I saw that 65% of flights in the UK are for leisure as opposed to business and it seems daft for the whole country to pay a fortune to get to London to get to their destination. And vice versa for travellers to the UK who aren't going to London.

Hence Toton International being built for HS2. Which will connect with both the midland mainline for people wanting Derby,Leicester or Nottingham 15 to 30 miss away and the A52/M1.

Is that where they building it at ? Massive railway yard that place back in the day

Lets face it, if you want to fly to London you don't fly to Birmingham and you certainly won't be paying £25+ for a train to London as well no matter how fast it is. At no point have I wanted to fly to Los Angeles and flown to San Francisco and then jumped on a train, the same goes for any other major city in the world. Nice has a good train link with Paris but you wouldn't fly there and then jump on the train if you wanted to go to Paris.

The only clear choice is to build a new runway, it is the cheapest choice and really the only one that makes logical sense. Anyone saying otherwise is missing the fact that it is the largest airport in Europe operating at 99% capacity, it is just a total no brainer.

The Americans usually have it right on things like this, they just build 4+ runways and get it sorted. We are the only ones who can hold up major infrastructure builds because of the effect on birds or a load of stupid idiots who decided it was a good idea to move next to an airport and complain about noise.
I agree with you on the final part, but not so much on the first part. For example, loads of tourists use Etihad to get to Dubai and they land an hour's drive away in Abu Dhabi. A journey time of 45 mins from airport to city centre (which is what it would be with HS2) isn't particularly excessive from my own experience, but it would obviously require customers to be educated about this. Plus Birmingham wouldn't be replacing Heathrow, it would just be supplementing it, offering an alternative for those willing to take it and helping to ease the burden on Heathrow.

I keep hearing on TV/radio that the UK urgently needs more airport capacity but this was never about the UK, only London. I just think they're missing a trick here to set the country up for decades into the future. Anyway it's obviously not going to happen no matter how much I bang on about it!

Been forced to live down here by work for seven years :-(
Its full of cunts and a shit hole, they deserve pollution and noise tbh. I hope work starts on the fourth and fifth runway once we move away.

I work under Heathrow flight path and live beneath Gatwick, would have preferred Gatwick myself only on a personal level as it's closer to me although by time it's ready I doubt I will be in any state to use either one

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.