New York City FC

Yes it went Vancouver(nearly 3000 miles) > Toronto(still 500 miles) > New York in a 7 day span... flying late at night, fitting in time to train and media commitments. Not what you want before a derby.

Compare that with NYRB? Washington(225 miles) > Home Game > NYCFC

To put these distances in some kind of perspective, they're roughly equivalent to City playing in a derby having faced away trips to Ekaterinburg (in the Urals, over 1000 miles east of Moscow) and Paris in the preceding week, while United have had a trip to London and a home game.

To put these distances in some kind of perspective, they're roughly equivalent to City playing in a derby having faced away trips to Ekaterinburg (in the Urals, over 1000 miles east of Moscow) and Paris in the preceding week, while United have had a trip to London and a home game.
Yes it went Vancouver(nearly 3000 miles) > Toronto(still 500 miles) > New York in a 7 day span... flying late at night, fitting in time to train and media commitments. Not what you want before a derby.

Compare that with NYRB? Washington(225 miles) > Home Game > NYCFC
They're not flying on the red-eye, squashed into economy though, are they? They'll have beds, ample opportunity to walk about and have everything they need on hand. At 5 and a half hours it's probably quicker than the coach from Hartepool or Carlisle to Exeter. I know which one I'd rather do....

They're not flying on the red-eye, squashed into economy though, are they? They'll have beds, ample opportunity to walk about and have everything they need on hand. At 5 and a half hours it's probably quicker than the coach from Hartepool or Carlisle to Exeter. I know which one I'd rather do....
You're not an Athlete though(or are you?), footballers nearly always travel first class it doesn't make a huge difference in terms of jet lag, unsettling your body clock and disrupting your rhythm otherwise it wouldn't be something that even the top teams in Europe want to avoid it can mess up your weekend(league games) having to travel midweek any considerable distance. At the very least with what I brought forward you'd have to concede one team had a huge advantage there.

Good comparison there... we'd be fucked, you just know the kind of performance they'd put out lol.

They're not flying on the red-eye, squashed into economy though, are they?

Erm...yes. Yes they are. MLS has a rule that says each team has to fly economy, because some of the smaller teams can't afford the number of charter flights the season would contain and MLS is all about parity between the biggest budget teams and the smallest. As part of the conditions of having Designated Players, DPs are allowed to ignore this rule and use their own money to fly first class, but NYCFC has an in-house rule saying its DPs must agree to fly cattle class with the rest of the team in order to avoid a "them and us" feeling in the dressing room.

Each team is allowed to charter four flights a year as an exemption from this rule, and NYCFC did in fact charter a flight from Vancouver to Toronto (at 1am in the morning...) but they were absolutely sat on a long haul flight from NYCFC to Vancouver (and then short haul from Toronto to NYC) with the average Joes like you and me.

You are repeating yourself. ;)

NYCFC have been getting a unfair kicking in the press lately. All the MLS hipsters are really getting their jollies in. I just hope Viera finds a way to counter the high pressing attack and physical style play that most teams are going to use against them at will. If he ever wants to become City's manager at some point he's going to have to learn how to make quick adjustments. Also, get rid of that complete waste - oid of a goalie.

Last edited:
That pitch they're playing on looks incredibly narrow.
They should be tailoring that too their advantage. Work hard on set pieces, play high, be physical to control the first touch. In hindsight, getting Pirlo and Lampard were mistakes. You want a big boots team that muscles people.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.