New York City FC Thread (new away kit P245)

They're struggling. The basic problem is that they had a deal agreed with the previous Mayor of NYC in literally his last week in the job, but the new Mayor has come in and he's pretty ardently opposed to any stadium being built with the slightest hint of a government subsidy. Not only that but NYC is literally choc-a-block with what they call NIMBYs - "Not In My Back Yard"s, i.e. people who are quite happy for you to build that stadium as long as it's at least a mile away from my house thank you very much, and these people kick up a huge fuss and threaten legal action the second you start talking about building something nearby them.

Heck, the team had a partnership with a local university to build a training facility written off last year because the local neighbourhood organisation successfully lobbied that the players turning up to training would cause too much traffic in what was previously a serene little township. You just can't work with people like that. There was also talk of an attempt at rebuilding a University field within the city limits (the training ground was outside of the city) into a proper stadium, and within hours a local community leader came out saying that they felt outraged that the club had started by approaching the University rather than holding a public consultation session to ask if the locals would mind them moving into the Uni grounds and whether they would like any input on the stadium. Apparently, because of that heinous sin, the community leaders had instead resolved to be implacably against any move into the University and are now committed to expending all energy to shooting down the bid.

This is not an issue that is going to resolve itself any time soon.
Yeah. We had the same problem in Portland when the Timbers were going to move up to the MLS. Even with all the fans and a prospective park with some renovations, people cried "its not baseball!" The stinking city comissioners did everything they could to stop the funding and it passed by one vote. It changes when you mention NFL and MLB. NYC bends over backward for tax breaks to the Yanks and Giants but City owners can't get the time of day. What a crock of shit.

:/ I stopped responding a week ago as I didn't really have it in me to keep arguing. Kind of peeved that it's still going on, but whatever. Going to try to keep my responses calm and fair now, because I'd rather keep it civil and still don't quite have it in me to get my blood up again over all of this.

I think this is the problem, and half of the issue behind Lampard-gate (the other half being that Lampard's contract status was so murky and uncertain for such a long time). Expansion teams, as a general rule, struggle badly in their first year because of how MLS's transfer rules work. A large part of their first ever recruitment comes from a system I have no love at all for called the Expansion Draft, where they get to pick players off all the other teams in the league, but there's a caveat in that teams are allowed to "protect" 10 players, plus DPs cannot be drafted. This means you're stocking your squad with the bench-warmers and outcasts from the rest of the league. Not only this, but NYCFC operated at a further disadvantage as, whereas most expansion clubs are one-off new entries, NYCFC joined the league at the same time as Orlando City, meaning they had to alternate draft picks with another team, thus further diluting the decent talent available to sign. You also sign players from the "waiver list", which is comprised of all the players who teams have allowed to go out-of-contract, which is hardly again a stunning indictment of their pedigree.

Hence part of the reason people got so angry about Lampard-gate - they had pinned all of their hopes on the three DPs and a literal sprinkle of other top-notch players dragging the team through its first year. Claudio Reyna went so far as to promise the club would sign three DPs on a video interview on the club's media, and yet they ended up with one player, who was playing up front and for the first few games was virtually unable to touch the ball as he was marked out of every single game and NYCFC had literally no-one who could feed him a single pass.

As for the Ben Haim comment - this is especially pertinent as defence is NYCFC's weakest area. I would go so far as to say that Tal Ben Haim would arguably be an upgrade on every defender NYCFC has right now except Facey - he certainly would have back when he was playing for us. Most of the defenders NYCFC has are decidedly not capable for MLS. When they leave the club, most of them will probably struggle to get a starting role anywhere else in the league. Thankfully, NYCFC are making signings to change that, so in a month's time the situation should be much more rosy.

Mostly. The team struggling so much served to numb most of the antipathy, although it definitely still exists in some quarters. Still, people can talk about him on the forums without it turning heated now, so yeah, it's calmed down.

Yeah, there was. Opinion was divided on the name change but the change in kit colour was almost universally derided. At one point there was talk of a concerted CFG-out campaign, though it died down very quickly and most people simply accept it now. Still, many on their forum still express that they're waiting for CFG to come good in the transfer market before they fully buy in to CFG's promises, and it's also worth pointing out that despite the CFG buy-out and a better season (6th place finish and the play-offs this season, against dead last in the previous one), attendances by the end of the year were actually down by about 1,000 on 2013-14...

Not bothered going back after my outburst but hopefully the more excitable members have calmed down, might take a look at the forum in a couple of months. I felt Melbourne had more of a gripe than NYCFC due to the fact they were already a team. Looking forward to watching NYCFC on sky in the coming months.

Yeah. We had the same problem in Portland when the Timbers were going to move up to the MLS. Even with all the fans and a prospective park with some renovations, people cried "its not baseball!" The stinking city comissioners did everything they could to stop the funding and it passed by one vote. It changes when you mention NFL and MLB. NYC bends over backward for tax breaks to the Yanks and Giants but City owners can't get the time of day. What a crock of shit.

NYCFC are owned by the Yankees as well as us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.