New York City

RACHACE

http://www.olbg.com/blogs/post.php?id=409471
Off to New York with the wife for our 1st year anniversary in May. We fly out on the 24th for 5 nights and we plan on doing the usual stuff that tourists and especially 1st time goers tend to do. However if anybody has been and suggests not bothering with some of the stuff I'm going to list then that could be helpful as we don't want to waste time. If anybody has a recommendation for anything that you believe is a must see or do while there then that also would be very helpful.

If City make the FA Cup final on the 27th then we'll obviously be righting a full day off to watch it and hopefully be celebrating with a few beers in New York.

These are the things my wife really wants to do:

Go to the Statue of Liberty (possibly up to the crown?)
Go and see a show on Broadway
Rockafella or Empire state for photo's (Both day and night)
Spend a bit of time around central park
Wander about Times Square

I fancied doing a sporting thing like watching New York City or the Rangers in the NHL but the NHL season isn't on in May and City are away from home during our time there. I'll probably go and visit the New York Yankees stadium although I don't really fancy watching a game as I'm not sure I'll enjoy baseball but they are playing whilst we're there so I might just go and get a couple of the cheaper tickets.

Other than that for me it's more about music and food so if anybody can recommend some good live music bars and great places that we should visit to eat at that would be great. I'm happy going along in the day with what the wife fancies but a couple of good music bars for the evening would be decent. Maybe go to Brooklyn?

Also are there area's that we really should avoid? Wife was told in the hairdressers by a young girl that had been recently that Harlem was really rough and she didn't feel safe. The girl was a 21 year old hairdresser though so I'm reluctant to take advice off her but the missus was fretting about it as I like to walk about when I'm I a new city.

Any advise and suggestions appreciated. Want to make the most of our 5 nights there.

Great thread we are off there in December and was wondering most of what you've been asking. If memory serves me right @CITD1988 has been.

Added to your list, I'd recommend a rooftop bar tour. They take you to three or four bars high up and leave you in the last one. Great way to see bars you might miss and a good way to meet folk.
It'll get mentioned loads here but The Mad Hatter is really good especially when City are on. It's also one of the very few places you'll get a decent draught pint.
The a High Line Park is brilliant, an elevated old railway track that has been turned into an oasis . Runs for a few miles now I believe.
The baseball is really good actually even just for spending a day chilling out. You certainly don't need to understand the rules.
Take the subway, dead easy to use and understand. If you don't have tons of luggage it's a great way to reach Manhattan from JFK and you can keep using it for the duration of your stay.
Walk, it's amazing and before you know it you'll be at the Staten Island ferry , which is free and gives a great view of the Statue of Liberty.

There is so much to do and see ask at the hotel for recommendation for bars restaurants and how to get tickets Broadway
Metro is difficult to navigate
We did river cruise with dinner excellent
Do empire state on a Sunday morning it's empty

If you only have time for one of the rockafella or Empire State I'd recommend rockafella. Queues are smaller, the view is better (you can see all of Central Park from Rockafella) and a picture on the top of the rock with the Empire State as the backdrop is a better picture as the empire state is more iconic.

If you want to get the Staten Island ferry, decent views of the skyline and Statue of Liberty for free, then don't bother with Staten Island. Just get the next ferry back.

Walk. A lot. Like a film set. Enjoy.

There is so much to do and see ask at the hotel for recommendation for bars restaurants and how to get tickets Broadway
Metro is difficult to navigate
We did river cruise with dinner excellent
Do empire state on a Sunday morning it's empty

I certainly didn't find the subway difficult? Is the metro something different?

Try Williamsburg in Brooklyn. A regenerated, trendy area, with bars, music & boutiques. You can get to it on the subway, but if it's a sunny evening, walk back to Manhattan across the Williamsburg Bridge.
Also, take the Staten Island ferry. Best views of Manhattan for free!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.