New York City

Bumped this back.
I'm going over next week for 4 nights.
Love art galleries and museums.So doing them throughout the day.
Got a Yankees v Red Sox baseball game on Friday night but is it possible to do the sights like twin towers memorial,empire state and statue of liberty etc on Saturday and Sunday evening,or is it better through the day.

Bumped this back.
Got a Yankees v Red Sox baseball game on Friday night but is it possible to do the sights like twin towers memorial,empire state and statue of liberty etc on Saturday and Sunday evening,or is it better through the day.

Evening is fine for Empire State, although others found the Rockerfella a better experience (I went to the Empire State because of the King Kong connection). Twin Towers Memorial is an absolute must see, quite overwhelming tbh, but you should book in advance for the best experience. Didn't do SOL so can't comment on that. A stroll around Central Park is fantastic, another must do for me.

Bumped this back.
Give this a look. My daughter and her grandparents did this the last time they went to NYC. They all loved it!

https://www.circleline42.com/cruises-and-schedules/beast-speedboat-ride/

Evening is fine for Empire State, although others found the Rockerfella a better experience (I went to the Empire State because of the King Kong connection). Twin Towers Memorial is an absolute must see, quite overwhelming tbh, but you should book in advance for the best experience. Didn't do SOL so can't comment on that. A stroll around Central Park is fantastic, another must do for me.
Staying 10 mins from Central Park.How safe is it in the evening.
Not wanting to meet those pesky warrior chaps.

Come out to plaaayay! It's packed all day and was very open and light, not the dark and dangerous place it might have been many moons ago, you'll be absolutely fine.

Central Park is huge so you could be anywhere. Very safe these days, first time I went 1990 it would be a no go area at night. but now Manhattan is as safe as any city is.
As others have said Empire State is good in the evening, watch out for sellers outside selling tickets to avoid the queues, they are expensive and when you get there you may find there are no queues except airport / security type queues which you can't avoid.
Same with statue of liberty though buying tickets in advance for that is a good idea as you will have to queue for tickets then again to get on a boat. If you just want to see the statue you get a good view on the free Staten Island ferry, but if you want to go up or visit Ellis Island which is more interesting you'll need an official tour not sure what time the last ones are.
Haven't been to the new world trade centre but I assume like the old one it will be open in the evening, but be prepared for security queues at any attraction.

You'll be fine at night.

New York City is generally very safe. There are pockets that you definitely don't want to go to, but those are the places you wouldn't want to step foot in at any time of the day. Pretty much anywhere you would go during the day, you'll be fine at night (if that makes sense).

If you want some good views of the city at night, I'd also recommend Brooklyn Bridge in the evening (just walking on it) or even one of those tacky dinner cruises. The food is pretty shit but you'll get some spectacular views from out on the water.

You only doing NYC or stopping anywhere else?

Bumped this back.

I'd do the Twin Towers memorial early evening, just before it gets dark (which is around 8 - 8.15pm) and then a short walk to Battery Park and catch the free (yes free!!) ferry to Staten Island. You will leave with Manhattan's lights behind you and the Statue of Liberty on your right lit up. Get off at Staten Island and immediately walk round and get on the same boat back (just follow everyone else!) and then see the NY skyline come towards you inch by inch as you return back to Battery Park.
Personally I wouldn't bother going to the Liberty Island. Expensive and you get a good view of it for free on the Staten Island ferry
On Sunday do the High Line - a former elevated railway line converted into a walkway. Has cafes and bars en route!

And of course, be in the Mad Hatter for the City game :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.