New York City

Been twice now, loved it. All the usual tourist stuff as you'd expect. With a limited amount of time, I'd say visit Rockefeller (at night, you'll get the quality night skyline. We also did Empire State Building at night), WTC, Central Park. I did Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island in 1 trip but you need quite a few hours to do both (that depends on your preferences). A walk over Brooklyn Bridge is good - I didn't really know what to think of Brooklyn when I got over there but we didn't really explore over there.

For food, we had a quality breakfast at Tick Tock Diner on the corner of West 34th Street and 7th Avenue. The Mad Hatter as already been mentioned, everyone is dead welcome and we got free tickets to a NYC game with free travel to the ground, just had to get the subway back which was dead easy.

I go to New York quite a bit with work. It's fucking massive, grubby and absolutely rammed full of bellends. You'll have fun though if your doing the touristy stuff for a few days. Other than that, meh.

As others have said, walk as much as you can, the subways are really handy, but walking gives you every aspect of the city. Brooklyn is one of the strangest places I've ever been to. Extreme wealth to abject poverty living literally next door to each other on some streets. Don't know why but couldn't get my head around the disparity.

Never once felt uneasy/unsafe, even walking (stumbling) about in the middle of the night after a few hours on the piss. There's groups of blokes stood about trying to sell you drugs (at night) but you'll never see so many coppers knocking about.

London is exactly the same. You can get £20m two mins walk away from Council tower blocks.

When we went to New York, we stayed in the Hotel Metro. It's a basic hotel but it has a roof top terrace/bar with a spectacular view of the Empire State Building. The ESB is around 300 yds away as the crow flies.

As you can imagine, the location is superb - less than a minute walk to the subway station and Times Square about 7 minutes walk.

When we ate, we generally went to the tourists trap of Little Italy but we also ventured out towards an area close to Wall Street that was very good for food. Not sure what it was called as we travelled on foot from South Street Sea Port.

One of the issues of having a short break in New York, similar to Paris and Rome, is that because you end up rushing around to see everything you don't take it in and enjoy it.

I think it is an amazing city. Only Paris and London are comparable, in my opinion. They are the greatest cities in the world with the likes of Sydney, Melbourne, Barcelona, Rome and Bangkok, a distant second.

Go and watch the Ice Hockey at the MSG!!! Really good night.
Its miles better than the Basketball.

I was expecting it to be the other way around and was really disapointed with the Basketball.
The Hockey was a lot better atmosphere. Faster, more going on. Really got into the game too.

Go and watch the Ice Hockey at the MSG!!! Really good night.
Its miles better than the Basketball.

I was expecting it to be the other way around and was really disapointed with the Basketball.
The Hockey was a lot better atmosphere. Faster, more going on. Really got into the game too.
I think the Rangers are out of the playoffs. Pity, as it is brilliant.
Don't tell the wife I told you this , but Hooters does amazing buffalo wings. A huge mound of them for about $15 if I recall.
You're welcome ;)

If you get tired of paying £7 a pint theres a bar on 9th Ave called Rudys where you can get a pint for $3 and all the free hotdogs you can eat.
Stumbled across it by accident last time i was there, felt like the luckiest man on the planet

Stop by McSorley's Old Ale House. It's the oldest continuously operating saloon in NYC. They have "light" and "dark" beer. Not a place to stay for hours but it is good for a beer or five.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.