Newcastle (Home) - Pre Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably need to rethink the voting system, as people almost invariably vote for a City win (and occasionally those who don’t get chastised for not doing so). Feels a bit futile. Maybe more poll options would be better - e.g. specific scores or winning margins?
Well, this season that is true, but we won' always keep winning. I am just guessing from the last 30 years evidence.

Is that the first time we see 10 defenders in the 6 yard box for 90 minutes?
No, but they will adopt Huddersfield style defending of a permanent back 5 on the edge of the box with a line of 4 in front to close down all the space.
If we cannot take the chances we create, it will be a very long day and a tight result.

No, but they will adopt Huddersfield style defending of a permanent back 5 on the edge of the box with a line of 4 in front to close down all the space.
If we cannot take the chances we create, it will be a very long day and a tight result.
Yep, important we remember the chip ball when we get near the edge of their area.
Very useful to allow our runners a way through all the legs and create panic and space on the other side of the 'wall'.

In a crowded box, we have to keep firing the ball in there, putting them under pressure. Every cross or shot doesn’t have to be a worldview, it just has to put them under constant, intense pressure, while giving us the opportunity of deflections, rebounds and an unsighted keeper.

Getting around a five across backline is hard, so it is imperative that we focus on getting balls in from between their lines. There won’t be many pullbacks, but rather diagonals across the box towards the far post from the corners of the 18 yard box. The wingers and full backs coming in around the back might decide the game in this one, but it could just as easily be an OG!

As long as we keep the back door locked, this could be an 80 minute game of attack vs defence...and even that is because I expect even a park the bus team will have about 10-15% of the ball.

Then again, maybe Rafa thinks he saw something in the Wolves, Bristol City and Liverpool games that makes him think they have the players to put us under pressure all over the park?? No, me either!! ;-)

I think Newcastle away was probably the most boring City game I've seen this season. Expect more of the same unless we score early.

I fancy us to start fast, get an early goal, destroy them on the counter a couple of times and score a few late on when they are tired and resigned to losing. 6-0 City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.