Newcastle, May 1968, let's have your memories.

ColinBellsjockstrap

Well I was fourteen at the time, I remember saving up my pocket money and doing a few odd jobs to pay for the rail fare from Stalybridge....32/6d.

It seemed like half of Manchester was in St James Park that day, the weather was fine and at the end even the Newcastle fans were applauding us, as we won 4-3.

It was a must win game as United were breathing down our necks, but in the event they lost to Sunderland.

I wasn't there but followed the game via the BBC's teleprinter, which printed out the goals as they went in. There as no radio commentary as I recall so that was the only way you had of knoiwng the score in something like real time.
1-0
1-1
2-1
2-2
then it went 3-2 and 4-2 and I was thinking that's surely it. Then Newcastle got one back with just 5 minutes to go and I was sat there, with my scarf on, nervous as hell with no way of knowing what was happening. Finally the teleprinter clacked out "FT: Newcastle 3 Man City 4. Man City win the League for the first time since 1937" and that was it.

Here's The Guardian report from the game: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/may/14/guardian-report-manchester-city-1968

Read Eric Todd, Jamie Jackson, and find out what a real football reporter does.

I wasn't there but followed the game via the BBC's teleprinter, which printed out the goals as they went in. There as no radio commentary as I recall so that was the only way you had of knoiwng the score in something like real time.
1-0
1-1
2-1
2-2
then it went 3-2 and 4-2 and I was thinking that's surely it. Then Newcastle got one back with just 5 minutes to go and I was sat there, with my scarf on, nervous as hell with no way of knowing what was happening. Finally the teleprinter clacked out "FT: Newcastle 3 Man City 4. Man City win the League for the first time since 1937" and that was it.

Here's The Guardian report from the game: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/may/14/guardian-report-manchester-city-1968
Yes, they overlaid the scoreflashes on top of the RL Challenge Cup Final coverage on BBC, it was the game where a last minute conversion to win the game was missed by Wakefield and almost straight after that flashed up City's full time result. I was pissed off that my parents wouldn't allow me to travel up to the game - I was 13 at the time - but consoled myself thinking I wouldn't have to wait too long to see us win the title again... :-)

1-0
1-1
2-1
2-2

Same for me,I was 13 and my Dad and I were glued to the TV.

I remember the BBC interviewed Matt Busby after the games who was very genuine in his congratulations to Joe Mercer and Manchester City.

17 years old - Got on the coach (Lingley's of Stretford) outside the newsagents on Cornbrook St, Old Trafford @ 07-30 - passed dozens of coaches going the other way with Sunderland fans cheering one another as we passed - arrived in Newcastle 10-30am went to the ground - gates were open - groundsman mowing the pitch. piled in with 20 or so other blues some off our coach and had a kick about for 20 minutes until the groundsman threw us out. Got in the ground ridiculously early @ 1-00pm not realising we were in the leizers end which was their equivalent of the kop. Line of police with checkered bands around their helmets ( unusual) down the middle separating us - Goals going in thick and fast cheering followed by showers of broken glass as Newcastle brown bottles smashed against the underside of the roof and landed all over us. - Game ended pandemonium and the band playing Congratulations after the rags result came through on the radio - lost 2-1 to Sunderland who were relegated for the first time in their history. Got back to the coach @ 6-00pm stopped at some pub in Huddersfield on the way home had three pints fell asleep got dropped off at the Newsagents @ 12-30 am crawled home - Great Day.

Yes, they overlaid the scoreflashes on top of the RL Challenge Cup Final coverage on BBC, it was the game where a last minute conversion to win the game was missed by Wakefield and almost straight after that flashed up City's full time result. I was pissed off that my parents wouldn't allow me to travel up to the game - I was 13 at the time - but consoled myself thinking I wouldn't have to wait too long to see us win the title again... :-)
Ah yes. The Don Fox disaster. Watched that. They must have gone to the teleprinter after that.

Went with my dad on a Finglands coach for 19sh and 11d - sat on a barrier in an open air end of the ground near a floodlight.
Still remember Joe Mercer coming out after the game and making a speech. My dad dug up a piece of turf when we invaded the pitch and we took it home and planted it in the front garden of our house in Kingswood Rd Fallowfield. Remember coming through Leeds on the way home - I think they had been hammered by Burnley but not sure I can remember as I was only 8. One of the great days of my young life.

Lucky people , I had to follow it on the radio with my dad. Remember Sunderland on Match of the Day though for some reason.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.