newspaper on line clicks

mrtwiceaseason

Having read the article about how newspaper clicks drive what is written about city I realise I have no idea how this works.
I understand that if a story is more juicy in the printed paper more people buy it the more they can charge for advertising.
But if the paper is free online and the links take me direct to the article bypassing any advertising why does it matter if the paper has 1 click or 1 million clicks ?
So do the papers make money every time I look at a link ?
Just curious

mrtwiceaseason said:
Having read the article about how newspaper clicks drive what is written about city I realise I have no idea how this works.
I understand that if a story is more juicy in the printed paper more people buy it the more they can charge for advertising.
But if the paper is free online and the links take me direct to the article bypassing any advertising why does it matter if the paper has 1 click or 1 million clicks ?
Just curious

Advertising revenue is determined by audience size, which is measured by taking site traffic as a guidance, advertising is on every page isn't it? In the case of online sports media it might be betting company, drinks, sports gear ads around the article, in the case of the Daily Mail showbiz and women's section it will be discreet ads for the high-street equivalent of the sleb's new garment.

Rocket-footed kolarov said:
mrtwiceaseason said:
Just curious

Advertising revenue is determined by audience size, which is measured by taking site traffic as a guidance, advertising is on every page isn't it? In the case of online sports media it might be betting company, drinks, sports gear ads around the article, in the case of the Daily Mail showbiz and women's section it will be discreet ads for the high-street equivalent of the sleb's new garment.
I must be an advertisers nightmare apart from the ones that block what I'm reading never noticed them DOH
So why would you charge for an online paper then when the aim is to get as many people to see the adverts ? Wouldn't it be better if the papers were free and charge the advertisers more and not scare people off with subscription s ie the sun.the times ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.