Next season we need a 20th anniversary play off final away kit

It's funny how times change. When the kit was launched it was hated by fans and many complained that City had lost touch; it didn't represent the club's identity etc. It became an iconic day, but does that mean the kit is any better than it was back then? Having said that the red/black 1968-69 kit was also hated when launched. I'm genuinely interested in understanding views on away kits - what are/were the truly great kits of old? Does a one-off iconic game make a kit something to love?

To me maroon is City's number one away colour. Think we look so classy in it in nearly all incarnations (especially 90-92).

I did like the 07-08 white Le Coq with the blue sash. Possibly even more because it represented a bit of hope with the new investment at the time, and we opened in it with a great win in the sunshine at West Ham.

And I like red and black 'chicken mesh' 94-96...but possibly mostly again because of the Blackburn away 3-2 in the rain. So I think your iconic games theory has some truth to it.

We need it like another hole in the arse. As for “I wouldn’t change a thing” - fuck that, I would. Give me City winning everything. Every year. Then. Now. Forever. I prayed the tables would turn, that it’d be me watching City being serenaded around the town hall with pot after pot, whilst Unitd dropped down the leagues. That was my youth. It was shit. I’d change it in a heartbeat to have had endless trophies whilst they plummeted. Being shit was shit.
It was shit but doesn't it make it all the sweeter now? It certainly does for me. I have to pinch myself sometimes.

It was one of the few kits I didn't buy in the 90s (yes, even the RL shirt!). I probably had more money than sense then but still swerved that kit so it's a "no" from me.

If it wasn’t for the Gillingham game this kit would’ve been forgotten a long time ago.
Horrid kit that had nothing to do with City.

I think a lot of peoples' views on that kit have been coloured by the emotion of the day. If you look at that kit calmly and dispassionately, it's bloody horrible. If you want to go down the route of having a retro kit as our away kit in a future season, I would go for the 1972 "third" kit, the navy blue shirt with a red and white (I know, but it worked!) sash. It is truly a thing of beauty and is possibly the best away kit we've had in my opinion.

https://www.toffs.com/shop-by-team/...ty/manchester-city-1970s-retro-football-shirt

Next year will mark the 20th anniversary of the 98/99 season, a season which ultimately led to the 1999 play off final at Wembley.

Without doubt one of the most iconic and memorable games in the history of the club.

Famous for a Paul Dickov equaliser in the 95th minute, many blues feel we wouldn't be where we are now without that goal.

It would be fantastic to see the players line up next year in an away kit based on that original Kappa design.

When you go to games and look around, you always see people with this shirt on, just as you do the late 60's/early 70's home and 1969 cup final away shirts. I understand the re-released version has been a top seller within the retro range as well.

Gillingham-playoff-final-1998-to-99-dickov-goal.jpg

image.jpg

I think it one of our worst shirt design but al least no-one will forget it

It was a great day and very significant for a certain generation of fans (me included). Looking at then bigger picture though, not sure it deserves a commemorative 20th anniversary kit. There were bigger achievements before that and there have been bigger ones since. Will we do it again for the 50th anniversary?

Plus, it was a pretty rank kit (I still have mine but I don't think it needs repeating!)

So yeah, when the anniversary comes up again I might have a nice nostalgic chat with my dad about it but I'm not sure we need to send Leroy Sane out onto the pitch dressed up like Tony Vaughan for a whole season.

It was a shit kit. Leave it where it belongs in the past, with all the other shit things the club did in the 90's. Personally got no desire to relive any of that period in the clubs history again.

I rebought it Vintage and it gets attention when I wear it. That kit is history.

They looked like traffic wardens, it's the worst kit City ever played in (except maybe for that orange thing in the CL last season.)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.