Next season we need a 20th anniversary play off final away kit

It's funny how times change. When the kit was launched it was hated by fans and many complained that City had lost touch; it didn't represent the club's identity etc. It became an iconic day, but does that mean the kit is any better than it was back then? Having said that the red/black 1968-69 kit was also hated when launched. I'm genuinely interested in understanding views on away kits - what are/were the truly great kits of old? Does a one-off iconic game make a kit something to love?
Yes. The game is one of EMOTIONS and each fan has a love affair with the kits that are meaningful to them based on time and place. I hate some of the garish kits from the years when we were wandering in the wilderness of the lower divisions, but they have emotional resonance with some fans. However, there are iconic moments, moments that are played back repeatedly when reviewing the history of the club, and those moments...time, place, context, and even kit...become part of the fabric of the history of the club.

Everyone knows a second season in the 3rd division could have been the death knell of the club, but that game, those moments, changed the trajectory of the club from down, down, down to up, up, up. I, for one, was never enamoured of the ‘99 shirt, but it became integral to the story of Manchester City, and who we are as City fans. That we wowed the lower divisions with our support, that the biggest win some clubs will ever have might be associated with the City scalp they collected while we were down, are all integral to the story of why we were where we were, how we got ourselves into that position in injury time, and the iconic images that came from that fateful day. Be it Aguero wheeling away swinging his shirt above his head or the Dickov slide, these images are burned in our memories, cemented forever in our history, and should be remembered for their impact on the Phoenix that is Manchester City 2018.

Oh, and in your dreams, wouldn’t it be nice to put a gold patch on that ‘99 shirt sleeve?!

This was a great kit from that season

MCFC-Kappa-3rd_grande.jpg

Agree that umbro generally good but they've had some shockers too

MCFC-Maroon-Diagonal-v1_grande.jpg

To be honest I hated that kit, almost as much as the revisionary misty eyed bollocks that somehow glorifies a dark turbulent period, when supporting City was seriously damaging my health.

Yes, we won at Wembley, but I’d much rather we hadn’t lost to Birmingham City in the last minute,( on both occasions) the previous season. In fact, if Wiekens had taken one for the team at Maine Road, then we’d have drawn 0-0, and not been relegated.

If Margetson hadn’t fucked up against Wolves and QPR, (and that was before Pollock’s own goal), or Goater not missed those open goals at Bradford…..,,,.

The list is endless, but anyway, that's just me being a bitter twat! You enjoy your anniversary, and I’ll remember walking out of Sincil Bank, and feeling consoled that Preston had dropped points against Macclesfield.

Next year will mark the 20th anniversary of the 98/99 season, a season which ultimately led to the 1999 play off final at Wembley.

Without doubt one of the most iconic and memorable games in the history of the club.

Famous for a Paul Dickov equaliser in the 95th minute, many blues feel we wouldn't be where we are now without that goal.

It would be fantastic to see the players line up next year in an away kit based on that original Kappa design.

When you go to games and look around, you always see people with this shirt on, just as you do the late 60's/early 70's home and 1969 cup final away shirts. I understand the re-released version has been a top seller within the retro range as well.

Gillingham-playoff-final-1998-to-99-dickov-goal.jpg

image.jpg

This as third kit
50 years since the 69 cup final, so hopefully a return to red and black stripes
This as the away

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.