Niall Quinn pen save

He also missed one against us when playing for Villa.
I was in the villa end for that game,I was quietly optimistic he would fail to score.
Quinn was a natural in goal but the best stand in keeper, will always be Bobby Mac.

I was in the villa end for that game,I was quietly optimistic he would fail to score.
Quinn was a natural in goal but the best stand in keeper, will always be Bobby Mac.
Remember bobby mac, was it v Watford and we won 1 nil...think he played virtually the whole 90 mins in net due to keeper getting injured really early? Watched from the platt lane benches...happy days

Remember bobby mac, was it v Watford and we won 1 nil...think he played virtually the whole 90 mins in net due to keeper getting injured really early? Watched from the platt lane benches...happy days

I was in the Platt Lane for that one as well. Yes, Corrigan broke his collar bone after about 3 minutes. Bobby Mac had a few hairy moments to say the least but did make a couple of good saves, to be fair. It was a real backs-to-the-wall display from the team to protect him, as well. That side Graham Taylor had at Watford offered a lot of attacking threat and was hard to play against.

Crowds were well down that season and there were fewer than 30K there for that one (29,617 according to the history section of this site) but the place went mad when Dennis Tueart scored at our end with a header from a corner that had been flicked on at the near post. Last game I ever went to with my grandad, who'd watched City at Hyde Road but had moved over to Yorkshire by that time. He died in 1989 but as he got older settled for following the football from his armchair.

As GDM said, with Quinn, what was even more eye-catching than the save (though that was impressive enough) was the way he claimed the resultant corner. It wasn't a simple take at all, but he came out a long way and made it look easy despite being under challenge. Nigel Gleghorn was another replacement 'keeper we had who looked reasonably decent in goal, but Quinny really was on a different level.

As GDM said, with Quinn, what was even more eye-catching than the save (though that was impressive enough) was the way he claimed the resultant cornerl.

Quinn ran from his goal line to the far corner of the penalty area to claim the ball. He must have made his mind up on what he was going to do before the corner was taken
The bloke behind me said "only an Irishman would do something as daft as that"

87 mins he was in nets for and I was in Platt Lane too!
Remember as soon as he pulled the keepers shirt on, he rolled the ball out in front of him and picked it up when a Watford player came towards him. The rules had just changed about keepers doing that and the Watford players appealed..... the ref (for once) saw common sence and blew the whistle, had a quiet word with Bobby Mac, reminding him that once a keeper had let go of the ball, that was it.....

Remember it well. Had my leg in in full length plaster so had to get the missus to drive and come to the game with me. Parked up over on Bowes (?) Street and got back to the car afterwards only to find that PC Plod, being the upstanding members of society that they are, had come along after we'd parked, put cones out all down the street and then issued all the cars already parked there with tickets. Twunts.
As to the game, we'd started brilliantly IIRC and were already 2 up when Saunders did his Acapulco cliff diver routine. Had it not been for that I reckon we could have had a repeat of the Huddersfield game on our hands
Nope, one nil. White scored in the second half, in the Platt Lane end, where Quinn had saved the pen in the 1st half

Nope, one nil. White scored in the second half, in the Platt Lane end, where Quinn had saved the pen in the 1st half
Great finish with his left foot into the top right hand corner I think...forget what a good player white was, although very frustrating at times!

Great finish with his left foot into the top right hand corner I think...forget what a good player white was, although very frustrating at times!

I've always thought that the difference between White's worst and best form was as great as pretty well any player I can remember. When on song, he could be unplayable, but there were times when he was just the opposite. To be fair, his autobiography does explain that and is a good read.

Back on topic, I was sorry that Quinny was denied the clean sheet he deserved when Mick Harford pulled a goal back for Derby right at the end.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.