Nicolas Otamendi - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous managers have favoured a right- and left-footed centre-half in their respective positions, which has made it difficult to assess players fairly when they've been shifted to their 'weaker' side; he's naturally looked more comfortable on the right. Would like Otamendi to be more demonstrative this season, but I appreciate that that might not be in his character.

What makes you think that. Yes he goes to ground a lot but dont you think we knew how Ota defends, yet still bought him?

Top defenders try to stay on their feet and don't expose the defence by diving in.
Watch Peps defenders at Barca and Bayern. I doubt he'll accept his central defender stranded the wrong side of the play on his arse.

Top defenders try to stay on their feet and don't expose the defence by diving in.
Watch Peps defenders at Barca and Bayern. I doubt he'll accept his central defender stranded the wrong side of the play on his arse.

Do you think he has only been diving in since playing for us? As I said, we knew exactly what type of defender he was and even shipped out Denayer to accommodate him. He will be here this season and I'm sure pep will improve him

I wonder if we'll see a marked reduction in the amount of times Otamendi goes to ground; surely Pep wont tolerate that?

I loved our 3 CB setup with him providing the sweeper role. Tosin was very good but sometimes when he was too high and forcing the opponent further up the pitch (something which surely was Pep's order), he lost track of the forward/winger and Otamendi had to slide in or tackle as a last man, which is one of his biggest assets.

We will be very open sometimes I think even against lesser PL sides and there will be more occasions like this, especially at the start of the season, so with Vinny out, I think Otamendi might play a very important role and will be a definite starter (as I can imagine Stones might play a similar role to what Tosin did). If he can maintain the level he reached against Dortmund or at the Copa, then great.

Do you think he has only been diving in since playing for us? As I said, we knew exactly what type of defender he was and even shipped out Denayer to accommodate him. He will be here this season and I'm sure pep will improve him

I don't think it's a question of how long he's been doing anything....or what Pellergrini knew when he bought him.

Top defenders don't get caught diving in time after time or on their arse the wrong side of the play.

I don't think Pep will tolerate it hence the interest in Bonnuci. Otter was a bit of a late in the day panic buy who should improve under a coach who will drill,drill and drill the right habits into players. If they don't listen he'll drop them !!

I don't think it's a question of how long he's been doing anything....or what Pellergrini knew when he bought him.

Top defenders don't get caught diving in time after time or on their arse the wrong side of the play.

I don't think Pep will tolerate it hence the interest in Bonnuci. Otter was a bit of a late in the day panic buy who should improve under a coach who will drill,drill and drill the right habits into players. If they don't listen he'll drop them !!

Why was he a panic buy?

If he had these inherent flaws, why did we buy him rather than look elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.