Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doma and @Nevilike Kneville Ok this is a bit old now, but for fuck sake, if you guys are going to analyze a clip and apportion blame. It would be nice if you actually... You know... Watch the god damned clip!

Let me break it down.
1. There was no offside trap being set. Domalino has been on some silly tactics talk over the last week. The goal of which is simple: Find a way to blame Otamendi.

2. I repeat, there was no offside trap being set. I mean this will be easy to spot if you were to, like you know, actially watch the clip rather than trying to fit the facts into your narrative.

Watch again, Stones was not stepping up to set an offside trap, he was anticipating a pass to. Firmino, and he was initiating his press. Something we do all over the field.Watch closely, he, John Stones, went from east to west and only slightly north. His movement were simply to close Firmino down. Doesn't make much insight to see this.

Danilo on the other hand panicked as Mane's crossing run flashed past him and hoped to get him offside by taking a step up late.

Well he failed. And even if he had succeeded, it would have still been his fault. There was no justifable reason to think an offside trap was warranted or executable.

For what its worth, the bigger error on that play was the lack of pressure on Matip. When our CBs squeeze the field like that, the forwards have to press the ball. The pass out of the back cannot be an easy one. Matipbjad too much space and time, and easily picked out a Mane run.

TJust wanted to clear that up. Even though its so last week :)

I'm gathering from this that you have no fucking idea whatsoever how the defence should line up. thus have no idea why Otamendi was in the wrong position, irrespective of offside or no offside trap.

Well I'm not gathering it actually, I already know it from your previous posts.

You haven't got a fucking scooby & nobody will be able to educate you, as you are incapable of ever learning anything, from watching football & only see it in its simplest form.

Doma and @Nevilike Kneville Ok this is a bit old now, but for fuck sake, if you guys are going to analyze a clip and apportion blame. It would be nice if you actually... You know... Watch the god damned clip!

Let me break it down.
1. There was no offside trap being set. Domalino has been on some silly tactics talk over the last week. The goal of which is simple: Find a way to blame Otamendi.

2. I repeat, there was no offside trap being set. I mean this will be easy to spot if you were to, like you know, actially watch the clip rather than trying to fit the facts into your narrative.

Watch again, Stones was not stepping up to set an offside trap, he was anticipating a pass to. Firmino, and he was initiating his press. Something we do all over the field.Watch closely, he, John Stones, went from east to west and only slightly north. His movement were simply to close Firmino down. Doesn't make much insight to see this.

Danilo on the other hand panicked as Mane's crossing run flashed past him and hoped to get him offside by taking a step up late.

Well he failed. And even if he had succeeded, it would have still been his fault. There was no justifable reason to think an offside trap was warranted or executable.

For what its worth, the bigger error on that play was the lack of pressure on Matip. When our CBs squeeze the field like that, the forwards have to press the ball. The pass out of the back cannot be an easy one. Matipbjad too much space and time, and easily picked out a Mane run.

TJust wanted to clear that up. Even though its so last week :)

I'm starting to genuinely think you're just clueless now, before I thought you were just defending a favourite player.

Shame.

I'm gathering from this that you have no fucking idea whatsoever how the defence should line up. thus have no idea why Otamendi was in the wrong position, irrespective of offside or no offside trap.

Well I'm not gathering it actually, I already know it from your previous posts.

You haven't got a fucking scooby & nobody will be able to educate you, as you are incapable of ever learning anything, from watching football & only see it in its simplest form.
Here we go again with the clueless pretending to be knowledgeable.

Its tiring. Just admit when you are wrong. A CH dropping off while his partner pressures the next pass is such a staple of City football: Its does it, Kompany does it, Stones was attempting it in that situation.

Bit all you clueless folks who pretend to find complexity when you are just flat wrong are all laughable.

You really are not suggesting Otamendi should have step up 10 yards aand if Stones get neat with a quick touch, Ota has no chance of being in play.

Really? Thsts what you are going with? Pack it in already. You've been wrong 2ice on a 10 second clip. How can anyone trust your judgement on a 90 minute game?

Here we go again with the clueless pretending to be knowledgeable.

Its tiring. Just admit when you are wrong. A CH dropping off while his partner pressures the next pass is such a staple of City football: Its does it, Kompany does it, Stones was attempting it in that situation.

Bit all you clueless folks who pretend to find complexity when you are just flat wrong are all laughable.

You really are not suggesting Otamendi should have step up 10 yards aand if Stones get neat with a quick touch, Ota has no chance of being in play.

Really? Thsts what you are going with? Pack it in already. You've been wrong 2ice on a 10 second clip. How can anyone trust your judgement on a 90 minute game?

I've already clearly admitted i missed the fact that Danilo was wrong to play offside. It's posted on here & whatsmore I've even discussed the point more than once, so how the fucking hell, can you be posting now, telling me I've not accepted it ?

Irrespective, Otamendi IS IN THE WRONG PLACE.

How do I know this ? Because I understand the fucking basics of football.

Have a look at 30:03 first half, you know when Salah runs straight through for what should have been the equaliser ?

Have a look at Stones & the two new guys, in a line, you know like that word 'defensive line' & have a look where the other cb, who has been at the club for longest, is stood & the fucking red shirt of Salah, stood, behind our backline in what would have been an offside position apart from the bearded wonder,stood several yards behind our backline playing him onside.

This is the fucking stuff, people such as myself see, which you haven't got a fucking statistic for, so therefore, it never happened.

And of course they didn't score, so who cares right ? Just like when he was hopelessly out of position when Danilo made that mistake. Hey it doesn't matter, as someone else fucked up as well, so Otamendi was fine.

No, he wasn't, he was fucking shite.

Today, he came back from it well & I said so, because it's equally true.

Nobody knows, what we'll get from him at the weekend.

I've already clearly admitted i missed the fact that Danilo was wrong to play offside. It's posted on here & whatsmore I've even discussed the point more than once, so how the fucking hell, can you be posting now, telling me I've not accepted it ?

Irrespective, Otamendi IS IN THE WRONG PLACE.

How do I know this ? Because I understand the fucking basics of football.

Have a look at 30:03 first half, you know when Salah runs straight through for what should have been the equaliser ?

Have a look at Stones & the two new guys, in a line, you know like that word 'defensive line' & have a look where the other cb, who has been at the club for longest, is stood & the fucking red shirt of Salah, stood, behind our backline in what would have been an offside position apart from the bearded wonder,stood several yards behind our backline playing him onside.

This is the fucking stuff, people such as myself see, which you haven't got a fucking statistic for, so therefore, it never happened.

And of course they didn't score, so who cares right ? Just like when he was hopelessly out of position when Danilo made that mistake. Hey it doesn't matter, as someone else fucked up as well, so Otamendi was fine.

No, he wasn't, he was fucking shite.

Today, he came back from it well & I said so, because it's equally true.

Nobody knows, what we'll get from him at the weekend.

Again, you and too many on this site are all about instances. You love it. So do the silly pundits on TV.

1. Otamendi was NOT IN THE WRONG PLACE on the Danilo error. He was where common sense suggests he should be. (I'll explain why in a minute.) But even more importantly, I am happy you brought up the example of minute 30, coz it highlights the very point that was at issue in the Danilo (fake offside trap) scenario.

2. City does this almost everytime. When an opposing defender or midfielder has the ball with no pressure, the CH closest to his outlet pass, attacks the outlet pass receiver, while the other defender or defenders (when we are playing a 3) retreat as cover. This sequence is ubiquitous in City football. It's a staple. You see Otamend/Kompany execute it, you see Stones/Otamendi do it, Stones/Kompany You name it, they do it. This sequence is a staple of City defending.

3. City 95% of the time set their Offside trap just above the 18 yard. This too is another consistent pattern you find. happened at least 3 times in the 1st 45 minutes. These things I mention are easy to spot. they happen weekly, and often in every game without fail.

Now let's take 30.03 but start at earlier, so you can understand the sequence... A midfielder is on the ball with no pressure on him, an attacker (Mane) turns to open himself up as an option, closest defender (Danilo) immediately closes Mane down as other defenders (Stones and Otamendi) retreat to play support to the pressure defender. Mane shrugs off Danilo and faces the defense going left to right, Otamendi turns to follow his movement, at that point he sees Salah who had just released off Mendy's back shoulder, then Otamendi does the stupid thing of trying set a fake offside line.

there are 2 problems here, 1 City doesn't set offside lines that high, normally, 2 it was a last second attempt to cheat like Danilo did 6 minutes later. Otamendi being where he was was not an error, him trying to pull a last second "Danillo-esque fake offside trap" was dumb. The actual footballing error was Mendy's. Having no clue where he's man in that sequence was why Otamendi, like Danilo later attempt a fake Offside..

which brings me to why Otamendi wasn't in the wrong place at minute 36. Again just as in minute 30, an opponent with no pressure is on the ball (Matip), an attacker opens up as an option to receive the ball (Firmino), immediately the closest defender charges towards him (Stones), while the other defenders retreat to play support and pick up runners. As John exits the middle to pressure Firmino, Mane sees an opportunity and cuts to the middle, Danilo should have simply dropped off and kept the play and Mane in front of him, instead he panicked and took a step back, then changed his mind and tried an offside even though there was a defender behind him covering a different playerhis man correctly.

now lets compare Otamendi's positioning at 36 to Mendy's at 30. at 36, Otamendi has Salah in his sights, to his outside and a foot ahead of him. he can see both the ball career (Matip) and his responsibility (Salah). This is basic good defensive positioning 40 yards from your goal. Now compare that to Mendy at 30, as Mane is wiggling free from Danilo, Mendy's back is turned on his responsibility, so he has no idea what his responsibility is doing. Salah peels off his back, for a through ball. Yes Ota was farthest back and Kept Salah onside. but he was supposed to be there. His job in that sequence is to drop off and pick any new runners.

that sequence or a similar version happened at least 18 times against Liverpool by my count. Only about 4 times did the support defender not drop off and pick up a runner. in 2 of those 4 situations, we scored a goal.

The static view of football that is so pervasive here is tiring :(

I can't be writing epistles about how you continue to be wrong...

Last edited:
Again, you and too many on this site are all about instances. You love it. So do the silly pundits on TV.

1. Otamendi was NOT IN THE WRONG PLACE on the Danilo error. He was where common sense suggests he should be. (I'll explain why in a minute.) But even more importantly, I am happy you brought up the example of minute 30, coz it highlights the very point that was at issue in the Danilo (fake offside trap) scenario.

2. City does this almost everytime. When an opposing defender or midfielder has the ball with no pressure, the CH closest to his outlet pass, attacks the outlet pass receiver, while the other defender or defenders (when we are playing a 3) retreat as cover. This sequence is ubiquitous in City football. It's a staple. You see Otamend/Kompany execute it, you see Stones/Otamendi do it, Stones/Kompany You name it, they do it. This sequence is a staple of City defending.

3. City 95% of the time set their Offside trap just above the 18 yard. This too is another consistent pattern you find. happened at least 3 times in the 1st 45 minutes. These things I mention are easy to spot. they happen weekly, and often in every game without fail.

Now let's take 30.03 but start at earlier, so you can understand the sequence... A midfielder is on the ball with no pressure on him, an attacker (Mane) turns to open himself up as an option, closest defender (Danilo) immediately closes Mane down as other defenders (Stones and Otamendi) retreat to play support to the pressure defender. Mane shrugs off Danilo and faces the defense going left to right, Otamendi turns to follow his movement, at that point he sees Salah who had just released off Mendy's back shoulder, then Otamendi does the stupid thing of trying set a fake offside line.

there are 2 problems here, 1 City doesn't set offside lines that high, normally, 2 it was a last second attempt to cheat like Danilo did 6 minutes later. Otamendi being where he was was not an error, him trying to pull a last second "Danillo-esque fake offside trap" was dumb. The actual footballing error was Mendy's. Having no clue where he's man in that sequence was why Otamendi, like Danilo later attempt a fake Offside..

which brings me to why Otamendi wasn't in the wrong place at minute 36. Again just as in minute 30, an opponent with no pressure is on the ball (Matip), an attacker opens up as an option to receive the ball (Firmino), immediately the closest defender charges towards him (Stones), while the other defenders retreat to play support and pick up runners. As John exits the middle to pressure Firmino, Mane sees an opportunity and cuts to the middle, Danilo should have simply dropped off and kept the play and Mane in front of him, instead he panicked and took a step back, then changed his mind and tried an offside even though there was a defender behind him covering a different playerhis man correctly.

now lets compare Otamendi's positioning at 36 to Mendy's at 30. at 36, Otamendi has Salah in his sights, to his outside and a foot ahead of him. he can see both the ball career (Matip) and his responsibility (Salah). This is basic good defensive positioning 40 yards from your goal. Now compare that to Mendy at 30, as Mane is wiggling free from Danilo, Mendy's back is turned on his responsibility, so he has no idea what his responsibility is doing. Salah peels off his back, for a through ball. Yes Ota was farthest back and Kept Salah onside. but he was supposed to be there. His job in that sequence is to drop off and pick any new runners.

that sequence or a similar version happened at least 18 times against Liverpool by my count. Only about 4 times did the support defender not drop off and pick up a runner. in 2 of those 4 situations, we scored a goal.

The static view of football that is so pervasive here is tiring :(

I can't be writing epistles about how you continue to be wrong...

So you've spent god knows how long, trying to fabricate a complete pile of utter tripe to respond to something I spotted in real time, watching it once, hence why I missed Danilo ?

And trying to make out a partridge shoot of defending is some kind of organised plan, with the Bearded Wonder as the hero.

Stick with the stats.

Utterly clueless.

Really hope Mangala plays tonight and takes his chance. Otamendi's best position is bench. Would be happy to see him play in the FA and League cups and nothing else.

A major liability.
Wow, what an incredible overreaction.

So you've spent god knows how long, trying to fabricate a complete pile of utter tripe to respond to something I spotted in real time, watching it once, hence why I missed Danilo ?

And trying to make out a partridge shoot of defending is some kind of organised plan, with the Bearded Wonder as the hero.

Stick with the stats.

Utterly clueless.
don't have an issue with you missing Danillo in realtime. Just saying sometime there is more to football than your elementary last second freeze frame 'last man seen - you are it,' declaration.

Again, in your fervent misstatement of the argument here, you are doing exactly what' you've accused me of-pretending I have not concluded Otamendi had a bad game. I did. So its impossible to pretend the "bearded one" is a hero. The moment he mis-kicked a simple clearance and got himself a yellow card a few seconds later diving in, he became a dud the rest of the game. Often backing off defensively and given Salah every opportunity to pick the right choice- we were simply lucky Salah didn't.

this however shouldn't be confused with explaining the rightness of his general positioning in specific instances. Somehow this nuance seems to befuddle you. For the life of me I don't know why.

I'll admit when he does good. I still don't trust a defence with stones and otamendi playing together, my opinion hasn't changed after one game against poor opposition.
Good man :)

In fairness, thought he had a nondescript game against Feyernord. Didn't seem to have much to do. But in truth, I only watched that game once as Fox sports app don't have replays like NBC sports does.

So o can get quite granular with our league games in a manner I can't with CL games. But my overall impression was that he and Stones were only minimally bothered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.