Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
P
Since I took up the sport in 2010/2011 I've gone through Lescott, Kolo, Nastasic, Savic, Demichelis, Mangala, Stones, and Otamendi.

We're coming up on nearly a decade here for me and he's easily the best of the bunch for me. Did all these other CB's take the heat that Otamendi takes on here over the years? Reading these posts you'd think he's the worst we've had since the takeover.
None of them got the flak Otamendi did. Maybe Boateng... Who went on to become a worldwide, tells you how clueless lots of our fans are when it comes to figuring who would be a great defender.

But in reality, we can't compare Ota to most of those guys coz they predominantly (at least everyone prior to Demichelis) played in a Chelsea like team. Sat low, with 2 defensive midfielders in front of them.

But talent wise, none of them are in Otamendi's class. These were mostly midtable to relegation fighting guys who were lucky enough to be playing next to Kompany at his best and on a team built to defend first.

Of that lot Nastascic had some talent, Boateng obviously. The rest were or are average. Most athletic stiffs

P

None of them got the flak Otamendi did. Maybe Boateng... Who went on to become a worldwide, tells you how clueless lots of our fans are when it comes to figuring who would be a great defender.

But in reality, we can't compare Ota to most of those guys coz they predominantly (at least everyone prior to Demichelis) played in a Chelsea like team. Sat low, with 2 defensive midfielders in front of them.

But talent wise, none of them are in Otamendi's class. These were mostly midtable to relegation fighting guys who were lucky enough to be playing next to Kompany at his best and on a team built to defend first.

Of that lot Nastascic had some talent, Boateng obviously. The rest were or are average. Most athletic stiffs

Absolute nonsense, Mangala especially has been torn to shreds on this and other City boards.

Demichelis was without a shadow of a doubt a much better player than Otamendi.

I get your defending of Otamendi, it's commendable but you stray into the absurd way too often.

Absolute nonsense, Mangala especially has been torn to shreds on this and other City boards.

Demichelis was without a shadow of a doubt a much better player than Otamendi.

I get your defending of Otamendi, it's commendable but you stray into the absurd way too often.

In fairness you are right... I poorly stated my claim. What I meant to say was that in relation to what value they provided as defenders, Otamendi got flak that was way more disproportional to his production/Performance than any other CB.

Every one of our CBs have gotten major flak bar Kompany and Nastascic. So in a sense you are right.

As for Demichelis being better, I'll have to disagree. He was good for 1 season. Otamendi has been good for going on 3 seasons now. Been the best CB at the club for all 3 years he has been here. Stones I believe will surpass him.this season. But that would have still been 3 good season.2 of which he was the best CB.

I think I'll rate that over Demi's 1 year.

Last edited:
In fairness you are right... I poorly stated my claim. What I meant to say was that in relation to what value they provided as defenders, Otamendi got flak that was way more disproportional to his production/Performance than any other CB.

Every one of our CBs have gotten major flak bar Kompany and Nastascic. So in a sense you are right.

As for Demichelis being better, I'll have to disagree. He was good for 1 season. Otamendi has been good for going on 3 seasons now. Been the best CB at the club for all 3 years he has been here. Stones I believe will surpass him.this season. But that would have still been 3 good season.2 of which he was the best CB.

I think I'll rate that over Demi's 1 year.

Just to clarify, I wasn't basing my opinion of Demi on one year, I was basing it on his career.

If you feel he is as bad as that you portray, then you need to be venting yourself at the man who regularly picks him, and for his country. Personally I think Ota is good for us and adds that aggression in defending that we need to have. Yes, he is not the quickest, but he will give his all every game and that is all we can ask of him

All we can ask of a cb in Manchester City's team, is that he tries really hard ?

You mentioned internationals. Please just take a minute to look at these points & maybe you will see where I'm coming from.

2:14 Otamendi's first step, wrongfoots himself, putting his body in the wrong position (as we saw over & over again v Liverpool & straight away at Bournemouth) instead of trying to force the player away from coming inside, he has instantly decided, the player is going outside anyhow ,& he has to leg it full speed towards the wing, but actually, the player is coming inside & Otta has helped him out. Oops. Game over.

He is now in no position, to even register as a statistic. He hasn't 'missed' a challenge, because he never got close enough to make one.

Out of 3 players, the player furthest away from the attacker when he scores, is the one who is supposed to directly defend against him, who, in theory, the attacker has to 'get past'.

But he doesn't have to get past him, as Otamendi has already taken himself, out of the game.

You or I could actually defend that better, just by standing still, the attacker would go either go outside or come straight at you therefore giving you or a team mate a chance to stop him.

Otamendi's first move, creates the goalscoring opportunity.

4:28 Gabriel Jesus, receiving a throw in, close to the line with nowhere to go, no danger. Easy situation.

Oops, Otamendi has somehow got himself on the wrong side & now Jesus is goal side of Otamendi. Slow dog chases balloon without awareness of what's around, pass inside, 2:0.

7:33 Prior to 3rd goal, watch Otamendi's movement as the ball is headed away. At 7:35, he's stepped behind the backline, with his body facing sideways/backwards, looking at the ball, (sound familiar ?) luckily it's not Silva or DeBruyne on the ball, so he gets away with it.

7:38 Random charge away from Brazil's cf, (who is now onside, unmarked) presumably to mark invisible man, again, not Silva or DeBruyne on the ball, to play the simple little pass over his head, gets away with it.

The eventual goal comes slightly later, but could already have happened twice, due to Otamendi's weird decision making.

Where I sit at City, when City lose possession, this is the kind of stuff, I regularly see Otamendi doing, 'off camera'.

So when it happens & a goalscoring chance ensues, & people say 'oh he just made that one error' no he didn't, he made 15 others that came to nothing & therefore nobody noticed.

This is my problem with the guy, moreso than him being beaten for pace, in a situation he shouldn't have been put in by Pep.

His decision making at times, defies understanding.

If he could sort that out, the rest of his game would be workable. Nobody is perfect. But he actually is creating himself & us potential problems.

All we can ask of a cb in Manchester City's team, is that he tries really hard ?

You mentioned internationals. Please just take a minute to look at these points & maybe you will see where I'm coming from.

2:14 Otamendi's first step, wrongfoots himself, putting his body in the wrong position (as we saw over & over again v Liverpool & straight away at Bournemouth) instead of trying to force the player away from coming inside, he has instantly decided, the player is going outside anyhow ,& he has to leg it full speed towards the wing, but actually, the player is coming inside & Otta has helped him out. Oops. Game over.

He is now in no position, to even register as a statistic. He hasn't 'missed' a challenge, because he never got close enough to make one.

Out of 3 players, the player furthest away from the attacker when he scores, is the one who is supposed to directly defend against him, who, in theory, the attacker has to 'get past'.

But he doesn't have to get past him, as Otamendi has already taken himself, out of the game.

You or I could actually defend that better, just by standing still, the attacker would go either go outside or come straight at you therefore giving you or a team mate a chance to stop him.

Otamendi's first move, creates the goalscoring opportunity.

4:28 Gabriel Jesus, receiving a throw in, close to the line with nowhere to go, no danger. Easy situation.

Oops, Otamendi has somehow got himself on the wrong side & now Jesus is goal side of Otamendi. Slow dog chases balloon without awareness of what's around, pass inside, 2:0.

7:33 Prior to 3rd goal, watch Otamendi's movement as the ball is headed away. At 7:35, he's stepped behind the backline, with his body facing sideways/backwards, looking at the ball, (sound familiar ?) luckily it's not Silva or DeBruyne on the ball, so he gets away with it.

7:38 Random charge away from Brazil's cf, (who is now onside, unmarked) presumably to mark invisible man, again, not Silva or DeBruyne on the ball, to play the simple little pass over his head, gets away with it.

The eventual goal comes slightly later, but could already have happened twice, due to Otamendi's weird decision making.

Where I sit at City, when City lose possession, this is the kind of stuff, I regularly see Otamendi doing, 'off camera'.

So when it happens & a goalscoring chance ensues, & people say 'oh he just made that one error' no he didn't, he made 15 others that came to nothing & therefore nobody noticed.

This is my problem with the guy, moreso than him being beaten for pace, in a situation he shouldn't have been put in by Pep.

His decision making at times, defies understanding.

If he could sort that out, the rest of his game would be workable. Nobody is perfect. But he actually is creating himself & us potential problems.

Good post.

He is always getting exposed, sometimes it leads to a goal and sometimes it doesn't. This is why he is a liability and why he is being targeted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.