Nicolas Otamendi - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was the last time you saw Otters stupidly dive into a challenge?....

He's playing so much better now in our back 3.

To be fair, the recent lack of diving in may be largely due to the solidity of our back line, lead by a stable Kompany with Stones pitching in to cover where needed.

He's a good defender. Some of our fans always need someone to have a go at but it's not justified in his case as far as I'm concerned.

Sadly he is just not good enough for a top team. Often looks shaky on the ball but the big problem is his lack of real pace...this will be exposed against the top players. Solid defender but only as back up defender for me.

Otamendi's 'problem' is his high risk high reward style of defending. You'll see him charge out and make these incredible tackles from time to time.

It's just he'll make an error occasionally, in some crazy style too. And we all know that one defensive error can undo everything.

When you combine that style of play with how exposed our cbs were last season (due to fbs in my opinion) and a media propogated narrative that we can't defend, he's an easy target. But I rate him immensely.

If he played for a tight, organised, defensive team (like Chelsea of last year) where he's not as exposed the media would be holding him in the same regard they held Vidic in.

I'm requoting this, I think it's applicable to parts of today.

Otamendi never has, and never will be good enough to play at the level that City now requires. How Pep can sleet him ahead of Stones is bewildering. He constantly dives in, committing unnecessary fouls and his distribution is awful. To sum him up in two words..."yard dog"

Showing form now that explains why he was so highly rated in Spain, he takes risks but he often pulls off what he's trying to do and Pep wants players who a brave enough to take them including the keeper... fans need to get on board with this.

Another great game, he's easily good enough to be considered very much here to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.