NME being handed out free....

Bought a load from 76/77/78/79 from someone years ago

I wish I'd been old enough to enjoy its heyday.

Barton was the main reason I read Sounds; even met Geoff a few times: he interviewed my best friends' band; in fact, I even got quoted in the article although the comment was attributed to the band.

His sidekick in those days was often the photographer Ross Halfin and we got to know him quite well. He and another Sounds writer Pete Makowski were in the US when one of my friends from the band and I were on holiday there and they got us into a few gigs; primarily UFO, who they were on tour with.

Sounds was my priority music paper too. (But as I liked Indie as well, I also read the NME.) Barton was a and still is, a very enthusiastic writer ..... he pushed many of the young rock and metal bands ... kudos to him for that.

Sad to actually see the end of the NME (in print) but it died a good many moons ago really.

I used to buy it every week from the mid seventies to the mid eighties. In 1980 I left Manchester to go to college in Poplar, East London for a year.

As soon as I'd moved in to my digs, I found the closest newsagent. I went in and said to the woman behind the counter, "Morning Love. I was wondering if I could have an NME here every week?"

"Erm, we do that kind of thing here," she said.

"What, no NME?"

"No. We don't do 'em," she insisted, looking slightly puzzled .

"But every newsagent usually stocks the New Musical Express," I said.

"Oh that! I thought you were asking for an enema!"

Bizarre!

Sounds was my priority music paper too. (But as I liked Indie as well, I also read the NME.) Barton was a and still is, a very enthusiastic writer ..... he pushed many of the young rock and metal bands ... kudos to him for that.

Sad to actually see the end of the NME (in print) but it died a good many moons ago really.

I've never been big on Indie, although I do have some albums that presumably qualify for that tag in my collection.

Barton's reviews introduced me to a host of bands; not sure he ever failed me in the old days and, of course, he is / was a huge Kiss fan. He actually wrote the lyrics for a song by my mates' band: "Flash Bomb Fever". That song featured the immortal and highly Bartonesque but now very politically incorrect line: "more bombs than Dresden" . I still enjoy his reviews when I buy Classic Rock.

Some fucking crafting magazine. She likes them and can't get out so I usually pick her one up if I spot them. They're normally a fiver a pop and I grumble about that, but a tenner is just taking the piss.

Demand she makes you something with a sell on value circa £20.

At these prices, you’re losing money.

Used to read it every week in the early 80s but haven't seen it for years and to be honest didn't even know it still existed.

I still prefer to get a magazine than read the same stuff on the internet though. In the same way I prefer an actual book to reading on a Kindle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.