No connection with the fans anymore.

It is what it is. No point whining about it all the time.

Personally I prefer nowadays to constant years of depair and desperation, of trying to explain to my young kids why we've just lost at some 3rd diviion team, of driving 300 miles to MR and 300 back to watch Alan Ball's and Frank Clarke's teams - of listening to Radio (2 in those days?) on a Saturday afternoon whilst we lose again. Of letting in 5 at the Old Toilet etc etc. Of being 5th in the League under Peter Reid being absolute heaven because of all the crap that had gone before. I've stood in the box-users bar at Crystal Palace with a 9 yr old son and been just about blanked by Paul Walsh because he was eager to get a couple of bottles of lager down his neck and go out in town in London (Keith Curle took us all round the players after)

When you look at it, after 1968, apart from the sequence of FA, LC and ECWC at that time we've been shite in the top League from 1968 to the takeover, with these exceptions:

Buying Rodney Marsh to throw away a League-winning position
Dave Watson's own goal eventually denying us the league with probably out best team, before the colossal foot-shot of moving Book upstairs and bringing back Big Mal
Peter Reid before he went tits up

How can anyone slag off 'these days' and say everything was wonderful?

Agree to some extent John, but you felt part of all those things, good and bad. Now your'e just someone watching whats happening, assuming youve paid.

When I was a kid I was going to watch Rapid Bucharest training. You could not even speak to them, they were herous. I was even ashamed when they were looking into my eyes. Never got the courage to speak to them. Nor my friends. Everyone knew you could not disturb them, but watching them, hearing them... It ment the world to us. Photos, autographs? Nothing, compare to memories.
Really sorry for the kids, but at least they had a great day with their hero, holding their hands. Whats better than that?
Watching rapid vienna

Yeah no connection these days.
Much closer in the old days when we could throw bricks through the boardroom windows.
Now with the barriers so far out no chance of that.
Bah humbug

It is what it is. No point whining about it all the time.

Personally I prefer nowadays to constant years of depair and desperation, of trying to explain to my young kids why we've just lost at some 3rd diviion team, of driving 300 miles to MR and 300 back to watch Alan Ball's and Frank Clarke's teams - of listening to Radio (2 in those days?) on a Saturday afternoon whilst we lose again. Of letting in 5 at the Old Toilet etc etc. Of being 5th in the League under Peter Reid being absolute heaven because of all the crap that had gone before. I've stood in the box-users bar at Crystal Palace with a 9 yr old son and been just about blanked by Paul Walsh because he was eager to get a couple of bottles of lager down his neck and go out in town in London (Keith Curle took us all round the players after)

When you look at it, after 1968, apart from the sequence of FA, LC and ECWC at that time we've been shite in the top League from 1968 to the takeover, with these exceptions:

Buying Rodney Marsh to throw away a League-winning position
Dave Watson's own goal eventually denying us the league with probably out best team, before the colossal foot-shot of moving Book upstairs and bringing back Big Mal
Peter Reid before he went tits up

How can anyone slag off 'these days' and say everything was wonderful?
The first eight or nine months under John Bond were brilliant. Cant believe you've missed that off the list!

I am interested to find out when did the club last listen to the fans or when the club were last connected to the fans, also which club is better then ours at the previous questions.

In one of my old jobs, I was invited to a function where a certain Rag player was guest of honour. What surprised me was how he was treated, not by anyone at the place, but by the woman "minder" who came with him. Basically he was treated like a kid. He, she announced, will do this, and he will do that, and he won't do that. It was a real eye-opener to me on how these guys are, for want of a better word "controlled". He was not allowed to "be himself" he had to conform to what this woman said.

On top of that, you have to allow for the fact that these guys are under much more pressure than the old players were. Yes, they're extraordinarily well-paid, but they live in a sort of gilded cage. They can't just say "Fuck it, I'm going for a pint down the Circus." If they did it'd be all over the papers and on social media, and they would get a massive bollocking. Back in the day, unless you were a massive piss head or spent all your wages in the bookies, no one gave a damn.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.