North Korea vs USA

To a degree he is being stopped. The sanctions that have come in will wipe out the country and probably ensure the programme is kerbed altogether, the people of NK are already starving so how are they going to afford a nuclear bomb after this? NK has only tested 1 bomb that seemingly has the capability of doing considerable damage and they have yet to demonstrate how they will fire it from NK to somewhere else. The launches they are currently doing are essentially hollow cans with rockets strapped to the bottom, they have yet to integrate their warheads onto a missile let alone demonstrate it can even hit a specific target.

You have to remember that much of their technology will be derived from the Chinese and the Chinese are showing an increased willingness to halt their dealings with them. It takes considerable resources and effort to build a nuclear weapon and where is that now going to come from given they are sat at the top of every single banned arms export list? They will receive no help and they will soon have no money to buy that help.
I agree with this entirely. The media know this as well, but rely on the general public's lack of understanding to sell a story.

I agree with this entirely. The media know this as well, but rely on the general public's lack of understanding to sell a story.

i hope you are right, and I do believe you are.

But I would not bet the farm on it, unfortunately. It's very obvious that NK is terrified about having their regime overthrown, and with good reason. First of all, you have the evidence from the numerous other independent states over the past couple of decades that have been invaded and/or the regime toppled. And then you have the US' point blank refusal to stop parking its tanks on NK's lawn, so to speak. The Chinese and Russians have more than once offered to broker a deal in which NK abandons its nuclear program, and in return the US stops its military manoevers around the peninsular. NK was receptive to the idea; the US refuses.

What signal does that send to NK? It makes them even more worried. Then you have Trump's sabre rattling, which makes them more worried still. Their imperative to build a nuclear weapon capable of hitting US targets, is made even stronger by Trump's threats.

So there is no way NK is going to willingly abandon its weapons program in the current climate. Were the two sides to sit down and talk, and perhaps if the US signed a treaty guaranteeing not to attack NK in any first strike, then maybe they could be persuaded. But there's no sign of any such dialogue any time soon.

So on the path we are on, it goes one of two ways. Either NK continues and eventually does have a fully deployable nuclear weapon, or they run out of money. My fear is the latter may not happen. You don't need to pay scientists and engineers who are told they'll be shot if they don't carry on. People can be made to work for nothing, so as long as the country produces enough food to feed the elite and the key scientists, I don't know how sanctions are going to stop them.

There's talk about perhaps civil unrest amongst the starving millions being great enough to mount a coup? I can't see it. Their conventional forces are enormous and it's hard to imagine how the regime could be overthrown whilst this is the case.

NK getting a viable nuclear missile - should that come to pass - is not in itself my main concern, since I don't think for one moment they would fire it at anyone. Doing so would ensure their immediate and total destruction. No, the worry is that should they advance ever closer to having such a weapon, voices in the US calling for a pre-emptive strike, will only get louder. "Better to act now, than later when the consequences could be so much worse" etc etc. I've heard such voices already. This is what worries me most.

I am more worried about Trump's ridiculous saber rattling towards Iran. He is intent on war there. As if the Middle East wasn't enough of a quagmire already.

Might break the CoC but sums up the situation perfectly. Pair of fuckin buffoons.
21687965_345008872593752_3648671614219825904_n.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.