North Stand Maine Road

AJ71

Does anybody know what the North Stand capacity was when it was a standing terrace for a year after the rebuild?

I think seated it was about 7,500, so I'm guessing about 10,000. Before I started going, but with the Kippax holding c23,000 having over 30,000 standing must have made us one of the top 3 or 4 grounds in terms of standing capacity in England.

I know we are guilty of looking back with blue tinted spectacles with regards to the atmosphere at MR, but what was it like that season? Was it noticeably better than before or after?

Does anybody know what the North Stand capacity was when it was a standing terrace for a year after the rebuild?

I think seated it was about 7,500, so I'm guessing about 10,000. Before I started going, but with the Kippax holding c23,000 having over 30,000 standing must have made us one of the top 3 or 4 grounds in terms of standing capacity in England.

I know we are guilty of looking back with blue tinted spectacles with regards to the atmosphere at MR, but what was it like that season? Was it noticeably better than before or after?
More than 10,000 - official capacity for season 71/72 when it was all standing was around 63,500 - Kippax terrace held about 28k and there were approx. 19k seats in the Main and Platt Lane stands so at a rough estimate around 16-17,000 in the North Stand.

I thought the atmosphere was generally better that season although the home singers were split - some stayed in the Kippax, some went into the North stand but having a roof instead of the old open scoreboard end definitely made things louder.

im pretty sure our capacity was 52'000 when i started going in 73/74. i always thought it was about 26'000 Kippax, 10'000 Main stand, 8'000 North stand and 8'000 on the benches in the Platt Lane. But being as the other 3 stands didnt change, that means between 71/72 and 73/74, where we lost over 10'000, it must have come from the standing in the North Stand. Which means at its peak it held about 18'000, close to what lanc's Blue said.

Last edited:
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/manc.htm

http://www.mcfcstats.com/

Both great sites

Gary James pic
2189i.jpg

2hs9p9w.jpg

98 ish?

k1ctnd.jpg

Last edited:
I don't recall it being full (wasn't allowed to go to the derby at age 7/8 though). Used to stand between edge of area and corner flag about 8 steps up and there was plenty of room.

im pretty sure our capacity was 52'000 when i started going in 73/74. i always thought it was about 26'000 Kippax, 10'000 Main stand, 8'000 North stand and 8'000 on the benches in the Platt Lane. But being as the other 3 stands didnt change, that means between 71/72 and 73/74, where we lost over 10'000, it must have come from the standing in the North Stand. Which means at its peak it held about 18'000, close to what lanc's Blue said.
Real capacity or Swales capacity?

Can't remember the year but at the Derby one of them idiots climbed onto the roof of the North stand

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.