North Stand Maine Road

Can't remember the year but at the Derby one of them idiots climbed onto the roof of the North stand[/QUOTE
wednesday night cup replay against the toffees, 2 blokes climbed the drainpipe that led from the top of the main stand to street level, then had to swing across the gap at the top. Must have given a few mainstanders a surprise when a couple of burly blokes popped up out of nowhere . a definite WTF moment

Sorry ,not true.

We very rarely got anywhere near 60,000 except for the odd derby game.

Even in the 67/68 Championship winning season our average was around 36,000.

:-)

Is that right? I know we used to get >60k for derbies, didn't realise we never got those of crowds against other opposition. Before my time so I bow to your superior knowledge

I remember the police putting Cardiff fans in the north stand after their game was postponed. Hundred or so turned up to watch the match. Think we played Southampton.

The Kippax held 32,000 in the 60s, as a comparison the Kop was 22, 000 while rag arse rovers had the Stretford end at 12,500 (Including 1500 wooden seats at the back).

As to the "Average crowds of 36,000" everyone and their dog knew to add at least another 10 or 15 thousand because of Swales book keeping, in all honesty I have been to games where you literally could not move only to read later there was only 36-38000 at the game, and that never took into account the gate men who would let one pay and six to jump the turnstile ( Had a relation who made a weeks wages at many a match).

Is that right? I know we used to get >60k for derbies, didn't realise we never got those of crowds against other opposition. Before my time so I bow to your superior knowledge

Attended almost all the home games with my dad that season and apart from the derby game think just over 52k against Liverpool was the next highest attendance. Football in general didn't get the sell out grounds unless it was for the bigger games, it was about the early seventies till relegation in 1982/83 season that we averaged over 40k on a regular basis but however this was in the top 3/4 highest in the country.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.