Northampton Town

peoffrey

Team supported
Wales
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34538252

The League Two club appear to be in big trouble. The local authority have called in a 10.25m loan for incompleted work and now HMRC have issued a winding up petition against them. Their chairman claims it's all going to be sorted out but Hereford's Andy Lonsdale said the same thing.

Anyone particularly close to the area or club itself? Awful for their fans.

I do know a bit about this as I was working in Northampton about 9/10 years ago and was heavily involved in the setting up of the City Supporters Trust at the time. The first person to set up a Supporters Trust was a Northampton fan called Brian Lomax, who did it for them to make them a fan-owned club when they were in trouble previously. I spoke to Brian who wasn't actively involved but passed me on to the people who were.

I ended up in the Director's Box for a midweek game against Brentford, who were also fan owned and whose chairman was one Greg Dyke (who was a great help I might add along with Jon Gosling, one of the supporter directors). I had a chat with David Cardoza who made no secret of the fact that he wasn't a football fan when he got involved but was a property developer. But to give him his due, he's been involved with Northampton now for many years. The plan was to redevelop the land behind the stadium but I can't quite recall whether he was planning to finance that or the council was. I think he said the council would give them the land and he would develop it in return for allowing expansion of the stadium. In return for doing all this, the club had allowed him to acquire the majority shareholding but the fans still had some shares and were guaranteed a seat on the board. I do remember there was a lot of talk at the time about problems getting the council to do anything.

Given the timing, I suspect that the financial crash probably put paid to the prospect of any re-development for a while but I gather that revised plans were put in place a couple of years ago, presumably involving this council loan. From what I can see, Cardoza isn't being very communicative and the NTST are asking a lot of questions and have demanded a board meeting to find out what's going on.

My in-laws are Northamptonians, AFAIK, the proposal for all the land development etc was only 'concrete' while they were in League 1, Cardoza was adamant that they would only be in League 2 for one season, and I think they are at least up to 5 now?

When any club gets in to trouble like this it is never good news. A football club is supposed to be the heart of a community. You would hope that the council would want to find a way to work it out.

It's not great I'll grant you but it's miles better than Chelmsford, Bedford or Derby and an improvement on Leicester.
I considered all of those.

Bedford has some nice architecture and isn't oppressively austere like Northampton. Chelmsford I don't know that well, I'll grant you, but whenever I've been I'd describe it as nondescript, rather than awful. Leicester I've got some really good memories of. Went out with a girl from there a couple of years ago who was a prodigiously big drinker. She took me to a lot of really good bars and restaurants. I've got a few mates from Leicester too and whenever I've been out with them I've had a good time. It's definitely a rough town though and the one way system is a fucking nightmare. Some insanely wealthy villages in the county. I've often said that Leicestershire offers the biggest social contrast between its urban and rural areas in terms of wealth.

Derby, upon reflection, is there or there abouts on a par with Northampton. They are both rough towns with little to recommend them architecturally or facilty-wise. I think Derby has better pubs and marginally better shopping, but overall there's fuck all in it, so I take your point there.

I've spent quite a bit of time in both Bedford and Northampton for work and Bedford had very few redeeming features. The nice bridge over the Ouse by the Swan Hotel, John Bunyan's house and a nice little walk by the river past the rowing club but that's it. Rough as fuck as well & nothing much outside the town either.

Northampton had the Guildhall & Market Square, which were gorgeous, plus a few nice streets off there. Some nice parkland on the south side going down to the A45, the Charles Rennie Mackintosh house. Then there was the Racecourse and the White Elephant pub and the area round there, Abington, by the cricket ground which was quite quirky. Also Kingsthorpe to the north side. And there were some lovely country villages round about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.