Oakland Raiders move to Las Vegas

Anyone saying this is wrong is saying it on a platform of utter ignorance.

Promises were broken by Oakland, a stadium never materialised and the Raiders were forced to play on a bastardised field that had a baseball diamond in the middle of it.

They made every effort to stay there but the city of Oakland didn't want to fulfil it's promises.

Meanwhile, dozens of other teams have moved for reasons nowhere near as genuine.

If Oakland didn't want to have an NFL team with NFL level facilities, then they shouldn't have campaigned to get them back from LA in the 80's.

Oakland Raiders are the least profitable NFL franchise despite being a huge brand within the NFL. That's due to them having to carry costs they were never meant to. The franchise simply couldn't afford to grow in Oakland, so it's hard to feel sorry for the city.

I'll be booking my trip to see them in Vegas. It's a genius move and should see them become an even bigger brand.

At least it's in the same country. It's surely only a matter of time before one of them is transplanted to London.

Rumours gathering the Raiders may do a year there in 2019 (I believe) as there's a 12 month gap between their lease in Oakland and the stadium being ready.

Their new stadium looks pretty good to be fair. It will be a very expensive, but popular future Superbowl destination too.

I can appreciate why the Raiders are moving, but as an Englishman the concept of teams being franchises which move as the owner sees fit is alien to me. I think if you were to ask the MK Dons owner if he would do anything differently, I reckon he might admit he would have been better off investing in the local non league side instead as the anger towards him and the club will never completely go away.

the NFL is off it's tits the browns, rams, raiders, oilers, bears and others have swaped states or cities for years, I think the LA Rams moved to St louis about 6 years after the cardinals had moved out wtf is all that about.

Why does anyone give a toss? It's the way it's always been in the USA. What would be unusual would be if there were no team moves.

It's not comparable to football in the UK because the NFL culture is totally different.

Question for the US based blues. How often have "soccer" clubs moved location? I'm under the impression that it's a bit more unusual.

"Soccer" teams are more likely to go out of business then move in the US. The old Miami and San Jose teams for example. The original USFL just foldest one year. Though teams like Portland and Seattle have always existed in some form. Moving an MLS team isn't really that equitable.

Its weird to us Brits pretty much because its a foreign concept, but its an accepted part of sports over here, been happening for donkeys years. There'll be mock outrage for all of 5 minutes until the next 'sensational' story comes along.

That's a one off game each season, a novelty. I don't think you could fill Wembley with a game on every other week.

Not only that but the logistics of having a London team would be nightmare. Maditory practice and jetlag would be major issues. And then you have scouting and personnel issues... nope.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.