Oakland Raiders move to Las Vegas

LA Rams actually originated in Cleveland. Then to LA. Then to St Louis. Now back to LA.

Chargers moved from LA to San Diego and now back.

Raiders played in Oakland twice with one LA stint and now Vegas.

Complete madness. Can't understand why anyone here follows the NFL. The whole business model revolves around teams extorting their city for a new stadium. Ante up 2 billion, guys, or its hello Bismarck, North Dakota.

Then you have the game itself.

A pointless 4 hour long vehicle for running TV adverts. I just can't mentally stay locked in on it because of so many stoppages in play and there you have Dennis Leary's voice trying to sell you a Ford F150 again.

Their new stadium looks pretty good to be fair. It will be a very expensive, but popular future Superbowl destination too.

I can appreciate why the Raiders are moving, but as an Englishman the concept of teams being franchises which move as the owner sees fit is alien to me. I think if you were to ask the MK Dons owner if he would do anything differently, I reckon he might admit he would have been better off investing in the local non league side instead as the anger towards him and the club will never completely go away.

He has come out and said that he regrets the way it happened and he would do things differently if he could.

LA Rams actually originated in Cleveland. Then to LA. Then to St Louis. Now back to LA.

Chargers moved from LA to San Diego and now back.

Raiders played in Oakland twice with one LA stint and now Vegas.

Complete madness. Can't understand why anyone here follows the NFL. The whole business model revolves around teams extorting their city for a new stadium. Ante up 2 billion, guys, or its hello Bismarck, North Dakota.

Then you have the game itself.

A pointless 4 hour long vehicle for running TV adverts. I just can't mentally stay locked in on it because of so many stoppages in play and there you have Dennis Leary's voice trying to sell you a Ford F150 again.
First year I moved to the States, and living in Boston, the Patriots got to the final and everyone at work was waffling on about it so I got the beers ready and watched...... within 2 minutes there was a time out and a break for adverts. I turned off and supped the beers spending my time constructively (on BlueMoon, of course...) the next day at work the topic of conversation was not about the game but "what was your favourite advert?" And wasn't Madonna great..... somewhere in the middle of this there allegedly was a game going on......

Alright I'll let you all in on a secret. The NFL Network if you can somehow get it over there airs a couple of the best games of the week after the fact on Tuesdays on "NFL Replay" in 60 minutes time. They do this by cutting out commercials, huddles, most punts, and some trivial plays that went for no gain. All with no work on your part as the viewer. It is definitely the way to watch all games that aren't must-see in real time for the diehard fan.

Anyone saying this is wrong is saying it on a platform of utter ignorance.

Promises were broken by Oakland, a stadium never materialised and the Raiders were forced to play on a bastardised field that had a baseball diamond in the middle of it.

They made every effort to stay there but the city of Oakland didn't want to fulfil it's promises.

Meanwhile, dozens of other teams have moved for reasons nowhere near as genuine.

If Oakland didn't want to have an NFL team with NFL level facilities, then they shouldn't have campaigned to get them back from LA in the 80's.

Oakland Raiders are the least profitable NFL franchise despite being a huge brand within the NFL. That's due to them having to carry costs they were never meant to. The franchise simply couldn't afford to grow in Oakland, so it's hard to feel sorry for the city.

I'll be booking my trip to see them in Vegas. It's a genius move and should see them become an even bigger brand.

So you think that cities should use tax payer money to fund stadiums for billionaires? I know the Raiders might be different here because the City bid to take them back a long time ago but this is going to be a problem for most city's and franchises soon enough. The demand for brand new, state of the art stadiums that cost a billion plus are on the rise, there is no way all teams will be able to keep up so there's going to be a lot more relocation and a lot more stadium sharing. It seems like the longevity of a billion dollar stadium now is about 30 years, and God knows what the cost will be to replace them in another 30 years.

Secondly, none of what you wrote takes into consideration the fans. It's not their fault that the city didn't keep to their side of the bargain or that the billionaire owner didn't ent to build his own stadium. I still read Chargers forums and it's soul destroying what the NFL/Chargers/city of San Diego has done to that fanbase. This whole relocation process is wrong, wrong, wrong and a blight on the NFL.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.