Old Manchester

hilts said:
[bigimg]https://thetoastrack.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/toastrack.jpg[/bigimg]
If that was in Abu dabi or. somewhere it would still look futuristic .
Where is it and what was it ?

mrtwiceaseason said:
hilts said:

They call it the toast rack, it is in owens park, fallowfield, you should see it in colour, i am not sure which decade it was but architecture in this country took a nose dive, we have some great buildings in manchester but there are some truly horrible eyesores around, and they are still doing it to this day

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
ColinBellsjockstrap said:
I grew up in Gorton in the 1950's/60's....

All rows of neat terraced houses like Coronation Street.

It was better then...It's a disgrace now.

Some City centre shops, long gone..

Avegarde Gallery

Paperchase.

Mazel Radio

Hurley's. Tyldesley and Holbrook and Cooke's Sports.

Harry Hall cycles, Cathedral street.....(now relocated)

Sports motorcycles, Liverpool Road...(Steve Wynne)

Derek Johnstone motorcyles.

Jack Bottomley's....Motorcycle spares..

Beatties models

Bradford model railway exchange...Picadilly Plaza

Brentford nylons

Lewis's

Bauer Millett...(Peter Street)

Cinephone cinema....(dirty mac essential)

Robinson's records

Central Radio ..(Shudehill)

Godley's/White & Kaye/Stensby's...all Shudehill.

Rofe's gunshop...Piccadilly.

Doll's hospital...Piccadilly.

Princess Road sports depot

The Model shop...(Bootle street)

Tib street chip shop.

A chip shop on Tib Street. I only remember pet shops! Dozens of 'em!

tiny crooked wooden stairs and condensation on the shash windows best fish chips and peas I've ever had real nostalgia rush there I am actually salivating real treat when I was in town with my Gran

hilts said:
mrtwiceaseason said:
hilts said:

They call it the toast rack, it is in owens park, fallowfield, you should see it in colour, i am not sure which decade it was but architecture in this country took a nose dive, we have some great buildings in manchester but there are some truly horrible eyesores around, and they are still doing it to this day
Is it still standing and still lived ? In or was it a factory of some sort ?

StrangewaysHereWeCome said:
MCFCTrick said:
The Toast Rack is part of Manchester Uni ... Could see the top from Maine Road ...
Last time I went past there it was up for sale.

FAO Chris... Is the last shop you remember seeing... Is it Boots the chemist?

Used to be part of the Polytechnic (Manchester Met Uni) but was sold last year.

MCFCTrick said:
The Toast Rack is part of Manchester Uni ... Could see the top from Maine Road ...
Think it was called (oficially) Hollins College, and it was (I believe) part of the university campus. Located right beside the sports fields of Manchester Grammar School on Old Hall Lane in Longsight/Falowfield. I used to live about 10 minutes walk from there. Happy days, long since gone.

:-(

hilts said:
469220-4142-800.jpg

hilts said:
Chris in London said:
A couple of weeks ago I was up in Manchester for work. I decided to walk from Piccadilly station to where I was going just off Deansgate.

Going down Piccadilly approach and along market Street, I remember thinking that almost every single shop that I remembered from back in the day (well, the 80s) had gone. Piccadilly records, the blood transfusion centre, Hurleys for Golf, Hurleys sports, Spudulike, all gone.

I saw one shop, and one shop only, that I remember was there back in the day. Just the one.

Anyone care to have a guess which shop it was?

No i don't care to guess either post a picture of a shitty part of manchester or start a "i miss HMV" thread

you bloody woman

You should know hilts from the amount you spend in there

(it isn't Boots)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.