Oldham Athletic Takeover

yes it can but at what cost in the long run the better the league the bigger the cost of players and wages and if you hold your own in the premier league for a couple of seasons the other clubs take your better players of you and you have to start all over again and they all know the parachute payments is only for 3 years and the smaller clubs have already used that them to get loans from banks so after they fall from grace they are worst then what they started with which was nothing

like i said football has change in the last 10 years and now FFP rules are in place its just about impossible for a small club like oldham to get to the promise land and watford and bournemouth had help along the way with loan players or free transfers from big clubs to push them on i think watford at one stage had about 7 or 8 loan players from bigger clubs and the others moaned to the FA and got the rules changed

but for the likes of oldham they can never live on what gates they get and non league football is calling and some of the non league clubs are getting gates better than oldham and salford city are just waiting to take a place in the league football and could replace oldham very soon
Oldham get three times the crowds salford get?

And supporting a football club isn't about success or what division your in. If it was everyone would support united and barcelona.

From a fans point of view i can see both sides.

On the plus points, you might get players with a level of talent you couldn't possibly afford otherwise, you get financial security, access to the whole of CFG resources, scouting etc, all of which would likely lead to them being more successful than they are now.

On the flip side, you lose a bit of autonomy, identity and most importantly it dents your pride.

It's essentially a pragmatism vs feelings thing. Probably what we most want from football is to be proud of our club.

However if you look now at Breda or Girona for example, they still have a really strong core of local players, strong support, it's all just supplemented by 5 or 6 loanees (who don't automatically play) plus a lot of off the pitch help. I don't know, if i was an Oldham fan i'd be in two minds, it probably depends on your feeling towards City.

If my local team took a similar arrangement with either of the Old Firm i'd hate it and probably lose interest, however if a foreign team came in with a similar arrangement it'd probably be less of an issue (so long as it actually worked and benefited us).

Sadly - and I do mean sadly - I think the day of the 92 club fully professional league is almost over. The lower league clubs are a niche product at best, there for those who want to see real football instead of watching the "big" clubs on TV. That's a relatively small market. It's particularly hard for clubs in places like Greater Manchester. Some, I'm pretty sure, will fold over the next ten years or so, although most will probably be revived on a lower-level model.

Do Salford still play on Moor Lane?
Hardly comparable to Boundary Park.
Bit warmer maybe. I remember back in the days of Bert Lister and Bob Ledger watching a game and all I remember is the cold and the luminous orange ball.

Sadly - and I do mean sadly - I think the day of the 92 club fully professional league is almost over. The lower league clubs are a niche product at best, there for those who want to see real football instead of watching the "big" clubs on TV. That's a relatively small market. It's particularly hard for clubs in places like Greater Manchester. Some, I'm pretty sure, will fold over the next ten years or so, although most will probably be revived on a lower-level model.
you do realise the championship is one of the highest watched leagues in europe?

There are even non league clubs which get gates of over 2k, I wouldn't really call it a niche product.

I think the lower leagues will get even more popular as the price of premier league football gets more expensive.

Last edited:
Oldham get three times the crowds salford get?

And supporting a football club isn't about success or what division your in. If it was everyone would support united and barcelona.

salford ground is why its still small crowds its a shit hole and nothing more than a park field really and plans are in place to build a new stadium and the they are look to league football in the future . football is about winning and don't let people fool you success is a big part of being a fan and only a hand full of fans can really say otherwise and they can not keep the club in business

i keep saying it football has change in the past 10 years and with the like of chelsea and manchester city and other owners the premier league invited them to invest in football clubs and give the league a boost and to challenge the so called big clubs who just kept winning the league year after year and what fun is there in that so that's why its not a game anymore so clubs was put up for sale and money invested and world class player bought to promote both clubs and the premier league

know if lower league clubs want to keep the dream alive they need to do something and fast and first thing is to bring the fans back so that means something must happen to promote the club in the media and bring some quality to the club if that means selling your soul you must take the medicine and swallowing your pride and let the money people or the bigger clubs help your never going to challenge them its gone the dream so move on and keep your club alive and back whatever they think is best

you do realise the championship is one of the highest watched leagues in europe?

There are even non league clubs which get gates of over 2k, I wouldn't really call it a niche product.

I think the lower leagues will get even more popular as the price of premier league football gets more expensive.

matey never in a million years tv has took over and people now see super sunday or skysports or bt sports highlights of the week

salford ground is why its still small crowds its a shit hole and nothing more than a park field really and plans are in place to build a new stadium and the they are look to league football in the future . football is about winning and don't let people fool you success is a big part of being a fan and only a hand full of fans can really say otherwise and they can not keep the club in business

i keep saying it football has change in the past 10 years and with the like of chelsea and manchester city and other owners the premier league invited them to invest in football clubs and give the league a boost and to challenge the so called big clubs who just kept winning the league year after year and what fun is there in that so that's why its not a game anymore so clubs was put up for sale and money invested and world class player bought to promote both clubs and the premier league

know if lower league clubs want to keep the dream alive they need to do something and fast and first thing is to bring the fans back so that means something must happen to promote the club in the media and bring some quality to the club if that means selling your soul you must take the medicine and swallowing your pride and let the money people or the bigger clubs help your never going to challenge them its gone the dream so move on and keep your club alive and back whatever they think is best
haha that is simply not true. Why do think 17k go to portsmouth every week despite relegation after relegation? As I said if supporting a football club was about success everyone would support the top teams.

I just havent seen this massive change in football the past 10 years? the championship is one of the most viewed leagues in europe. If anything lower league football is getting more popular.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.