OLED TV

Been looking at one of these myself! Samsung seem to be pumping our some top quality 4k tv
OLED had better blacks whilst QLED has better brightness and better sharpness. Personally I find the slight difference in blacks is more than outweighed by the improved brightness and sharpness. Also, whilst not specifically related to the OLED/QLED element, the QLED TVs are generally higher end and so have much better software/firmware.

This is one of the examples where the last examples of LCD tech (QLED) in their last hurrah manage to top the new tech (OLED). No doubt the future is the OLED route, but right now the QLEDs get a better picture. There's little in it though.

OLED had better blacks whilst QLED has better brightness and better sharpness. Personally I find the slight difference in blacks is more than outweighed by the improved brightness and sharpness. Also, whilst not specifically related to the OLED/QLED element, the QLED TVs are generally higher end and so have much better software/firmware.

This is one of the examples where the last examples of LCD tech (QLED) in their last hurrah manage to top the new tech (OLED). No doubt the future is the OLED route, but right now the QLEDs get a better picture. There's little in it though.

I think I remember reading that Samsung were backing QLED to compete with OLED.... I've done some research and last years Samsung Q7F was on par with Sony's XE90s series, The only thing separating them was the consumers preference to OLED or QLED....

LG have seemed to step up in the market this year with their new OLEDE7 series, where as Samsung are still competing with their new Q9F series.... the price of the new Q9F series is the only thing making me lean more towards the Q8F series, I'm not sure the difference in the new model, but whatever it is I don't think I can deem an extra £1000 on the price as worth it.

The KS8000 is still one of the best TV's on the market but they're hard to come by now ...

For anyone considering what to purchase, I would just caution them that viewing a TV in - for example - Currys, is no way to determine whether a TV is any good or not.

ALL televisions will appear to do very, very good blacks when viewed in a bright showroom. It is only when you get the TV home and watch in normal viewing conditions that the shortcomings become apparent. If you watch movies in a darkened room, then QLED is very poor compared to OLED. The difference between *black* and "nearly black" is enormous in a very dark room.

LCD - all types of LCD - is a transmissive technology, i.e. it relies on a backlight shining through a grid of pixels. Since the pixels can never block out all the light, there is always some background glow that cannot be eliminated. In a showroom, you can't see this. (Full array local dimming LCD is much better, but this is a fudge with its own issues.)

But on the other hand, if you just watch normal TV channels (not films), and especially if you like to watch sport in daylight viewing conditions, the extra brightness that LCD TV's can manage might tip it in their favour.

I’m waiting for prices to drop when I could pick up a 55 inch 3D Hd tv for £600 im not dropping £2k on a tv, did that. I recently got some decent calibrated settings for my tv and the difference between out of the box and those us like night and day. OLED seems to be the future especially if it has Dolby vision like the LGs, I’d like a 65 inch for my cinema room but I think for my money I’ll get a well looked after second hand one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.