On Boxing Day 40 Years Ago

Was at the league Cup game when Buchan crippled him , ref didnt even give a free kick , Buchan missed the ball completely and the ref played on , Colin went down like he had been shot and he wasnt the type of player to go down easily , he was as hard as nails , dont think there was any genuine malice in Buchans challenge just a really poor tackle .But the 2nd half against Newcastle was the most emotionally charged 45 minutes i ever experienced at Maine Road i was in the Platt Lane and i remember my dad struggling to keep a stiff upper lip whilst many around us me included couldnt. The King was cut down in his prime and much like Paul Lake you wonder how it could have turned out for these players.

Years later a mate went to a 'Do', he was pissed and when he went to the toilets Buchan was there, he laid into Buchan giving him full verbals about what a dirty bastard he was. The shithouse stood there protesting his innocence. Anddon't forget Best had done Pardoe and now Buchan had done Bell. Bastrds. Two of our best ruined by Rag players.

Years later a mate went to a 'Do', he was pissed and when he went to the toilets Buchan was there, he laid into Buchan giving him full verbals about what a dirty bastard he was. The shithouse stood there protesting his innocence. Anddon't forget Best had done Pardoe and now Buchan had done Bell. Bastrds. Two of our best ruined by Rag players.
Dont forget Keane's contribution to ending our players careers

One of my clearest memories this game .I was 12 went with my dad and my uncle. I just burst into tears when Colin came on , the sheer emotion , seeing all those men so filled with emotion, many in tears. This was the game I KNEW I was blue through and through and would be til they nail the lid down.

@Gary James

Was his comeback against Leeds?
No - that was his second game of his first return.

You are right to mention Leeds but just a game out. It's often overlooked but he returned to action during 1975-76 and played against Derby County on 10/4/76 and then against Leeds on 17/4/76. He made 4 appearances in April that year but it is believed it was City's rush to get him back that may have exacerbated his problem - I don't know and I do believe that Roy Bailey, Freddie Griffiths et al would have been protective of the player.

He was then out of action until Boxing Day 1977.

No - that was his second game of his first return.

You are right to mention Leeds but just a game out. It's often overlooked but he returned to action during 1975-76 and played against Derby County on 10/4/76 and then against Leeds on 17/4/76. He made 4 appearances in April that year but it is believed it was City's rush to get him back that may have exacerbated his problem - I don't know and I do believe that Roy Bailey, Freddie Griffiths et al would have been protective of the player.

He was then out of action until Boxing Day 1977.
I remember the clammer to get him in the LC final team in '76.

The reserve game had a massive crowd just before the final as rumours were knocking about he was going to play in it.

We really didn't look after him when injured at all. It would have been a disgrace for any player let alone arguably the best player in the country at the time.

I remember the clammer to get him in the LC final team in '76.

The reserve game had a massive crowd just before the final as rumours were knocking about he was going to play in it.

We really didn't look after him when injured at all. It would have been a disgrace for any player let alone arguably the best player in the country at the time.
Sheffield Wednesday/Huddersfield I was at the the game , more there than York away

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.