On our way to a new period of dominance?

Marvin

For 6 years we have been the dominant team in English football.

2011 FA Cup
2012 League Title
2013 Runners-up, FA Cup finalists
2014 League winner, League Cup
2015 Runner-up
2016 League Cup, 4th in the League

Man Utd fans were convinced it would never happen. But it did. It was not going to last forever, and this last couple of seasons it has become clear that Mancini's team needed renewing.

Most great teams are one offs. They have their time, and then they are up:

Man City of Bell, Lee and Summerbee,
Man Utd of Best Law and Charlton
Spurs of Bill Nic
Villa winning the European Cup
Wengers Invincibles
Clough's Forest
Ipswich
Even Newcastle had a good team for a while.
The Football League is littered with teams like Wolves, Leeds, Sunderland, Huddersfield who had a brief time in the sun. In some cases more than one.

Liverpool and Man Utd managed to renew their teams and went on and on. They'd replace players at their peak.

We have been in transition though we probably did not realise it. The team Mancini built is being rebuilt and I think we're very close to having a new team that can challenge for honours. We have a fantastic forward line in Sterling, Sane, Aguero and Jesus. And so young. I think they are all going to be superstars. We have Silva and De Bruyne. In defence we have John Stones who will grow and develop. Bravo is derided everywhere but I think he will come good.

It's obvious that the defensive side of our game is not right, but we're possibly just one player away now from another team that is going to dominate for another 5 years, or more.

Do you think so too. Which position is key? For me defensive midfield. Get a Kante, De Jong, Barry in and that would be it. Sure we wouldn't be perfect. but we'd be ready to challenge. We are close as it is: 2nd, in the FA Cup and last 16 in Europe.

Next Summer we wont need to buy Sane, Sterling, Jesus, Stones etc. We just need 1/2 defensive players and that will be it. This is going to happen.

i keep hearing in the media that the rags are going to dominate for years.

I think we'll dominate for the foreseeable future, yes other teams will continue to spend money but we've got the infrastructure and setup that puts us years ahead of everyone else.

We've got a crop of hugely talented academy players, plus the likes of Raheem, Sane, Jesus etc who are only going to get better.

Ibrahimovic, Rooney, Carrick. Shame
Yes but dont forget they have Depay, Martial, Rashford and Lingaard, they are set up to dominate for years to come. Sterling, Sane, Jesus, Stones, Diaz, Foden and Sancho just can't compete with what they have.

I love how we are playing. But we are hardly dominating. Pretty sure Chelsea's current position, record over the past 6 years and squad are at least somewhat competitive to ours. And they have the Kante player already you say is key to us continuing to dominate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.